Chapter Twenty Five: A Taken Sibling

*Katniss*
"What?...Mom slow down...No, No that can't be possible...But she was safe! You were all safe...I thought you were all safe...I'm coming." Gale slams the phone down. I stand still in my position peaking in from behind the door. A sob escapes his lips and he suddenly punches the wall next to him. This startles me out of my stillness and I walk calmly but quickly over to him. I place a hand on his shoulder, his back still facing me, but he doesn't move. I walk around him so that I'm in front of him. His face looks downward towards his chest, trying to avoid my gaze. He knows if eye contact is made he can't hide from me.
I place a hand under his chin, he is forced to look at me. Those bright grey eyes, usually so full of mischief and fire, are now filled with tears. Somethings very wrong. I gently wrap my arms around his neck and he immediately hugs me back. He buries his face in my shoulder and squeezes me so tightly I can barely breathe.
"She took her." He finally murmurs.
"Gale what are you talking about?" I break his embrace.
"O'hara, my student, she kidnapped Posy."
"What?"
"She was supposed to be safe! I made sure of it!" He yells as he punches the wall again.
"Gale! Gale, this isn't going to help her." I grab his fist and force it down. He stops but his rage still burns in his eyes. He runs his hands through his hair and another sob racks his body. I watch as he slowly falls to his knees.
"I was supposed to protect her." He chokes out. I know those words weren't only meant for Posy. He's remembering his promise to Prim as well. If he looses another sister...we can't think about that now.
I kneel down in front of him and take his hands away from his head. He looks at me, his eyes desperate for some sign of hope.
"You still can." I tell him, "We're going to get her back." I nod to reassure him, my hands gripping either side of his neck. He nods as well, thank God he believes me.
"I have to go." He says, half pleading me not to make it difficult.
"I'm coming with you."
"No, Katniss-"
"You're not talking me out of this."
"It's not safe, O'hara could-"
"O'hara should be worried about me. Posy is my family too. And you're not doing this alone. We fight together we die together."
Gale sighs, "Fine. But if I have to go and get her, you stay with my family. Okay?" I nod in response.
Half an hour later we're on the next train ride to district four. We sit in complete silence in our compartment. Once or twice I glance over at him, worry etches his face, making a crease between his eyebrows as he glares at his twiddling fingers.
I grip his hand in mine and his fingers wrap around mine with equal urgency. We sit like this for the rest of the train ride. Two hours later the overhead speakers announce the we are in district four and we practically sprint off the train.
Beetee meets us in the station, and gives us the overview of the situation during the car ride to Hazelle's house.
"She took her last night while she was being watched my Annie. Her and Finn were playing and O'hara snuck in through the window, and drugged Annie while she was in her bedroom. She then took Posy and left. From what we know, we think she's hiding her in the old boathouse here." He points to a small map. There's a red circle around the boathouse location. "We have the rest of your family on 24 hour guard and we have a surveillance team watching the boathouse, no appearances yet..." Gale sighs worriedly.
"Can we confirm she's in there?" I ask.
"With no cameras or phone lines on the inside it's tricky, but I'm working on it."
As this is being said, we arrive at Hazelle's house. She immediately runs out and embraces Gale, despite the guards' orders to stay inside. Gale puts an arm protectively over his mother's shoulder and we all walk inside. Vick is inside and I hug him tightly as Gale gives him a reassuring nod. Rory is nowhere to be seen.
   A table is set up in the kitchen with maps and computers overflowing it. Soldiers sit and walk about freely but all are focused on the mission at hand. Gale fits right in and sits down to learn the situation and plan. Where's Rory?
   I search the house and find him no where. I lean against a wall in a hallway upstairs. Where did I go? When Prim was taken from me...my room.
   I start opening doors in this hallway upstairs. I find myself in one with navy blue walls. There's various clothing items and weapons strewn around the room. The bed wasn't bothered to be made and the curtains are apart, displaying the ocean scenery below.
   The cold winter sea breeze calms my nerves and I slowly breathe it in. But the window shouldn't be open. I poke my head out and see the window screen on the ground, broken and half covered with dirt. To the side of me is the roof. It's not steep, perfect for walking on. I step out the window and walk across the length of the house. I almost slip when Rory appears around the corner. He sits looking out at the shoreline of district four. I slowly sit down next to him.
"Don't fall off the roof." He leans over and says to me. I breathe a sigh of relief. Well his sarcasm hasn't been hurt.
"Ya coulda warned me a little earlier." I reply. There's no laughter, not even a smile, that follows our banter. This kid. This kid has been my adopted brother since the beginning. Our families coexisted for years. Since Gale and I met, we were always one family. Not two.
I put an arm around his shoulders and he leans his head on my shoulder.
"She's too young Katniss..." He murmurs. I kiss his head before replying.
"She's gonna be okay Rory. We're gonna get her back. Plus she's a fighter, I expect nothing less growing up with three brothers, especially you three."
He smirks.
"Is Prim...do you think she's happy?" He asks quietly. I nod.
"I know she is. You should know she liked you too."
"She did?"
I nod again.
"I wish I could've told her."
"I bet she wishes the same thing kid." I sigh. "We should go back inside, I don't know how you're not freezing to death out here." Rory nods and walk along the roof and jump back through his window.
   As we walk downstairs Gale approaches. After a short embrace from Rory, he wraps his arms around me.
"We need to talk." He murmurs into my hair.
   He takes my hand and leads me into a separate room.
"Is everything okay?"
His eyes tell me no.
"What is it?"
"We think O'hara is working for an ex-Capitol member."