Chapter Twenty Nine: Getting Along.

*Gale*
The world rushes past us a million miles an hour. On the train back to twelve Katniss fell asleep with her head on my lap. This is where she is now and it's one of the only times she actually looks peaceful. I play with her dark brown hair carefully, as not to wake her.
We spent a couple days with my family so that I could make sure they would be safe, and to help them recover. Part of me wanted to stay and protect them myself, but my mom assured me that they would be fine and that I had a life to start with Katniss. Still I made a call with Beetee and he assured me that they would be well protected by loyal soldiers to New Panem. That gave me much more relief. Especially when Rory stepped up and told me it was his turn to take over as protector and to quit being selfish.
   During our time in district four, much to Posy's dismay, it was too cold to swim. But Katniss and I promised her we would come visit in the summer. So, we spent most of the time indoors. I was glad to be with my family for a while, I had missed simply living together and the craziness of being in a house with four kids.
   I look down at Katniss who sighs in her sleep. I wonder if she'd have kids knowing that they weren't going to go to the hunger games. Probably not until all the ex-Capitol citizens were put away. Which means finding whoever O'hara's employer was. And this is something I intend to do. Something I'm already doing. I sent out multiple teams of soldiers on a search for this "Employer". So hopefully we'll be able to track him or her down before they can do any more damage to the people I care about.
   We arrive at the train station in twelve but Katniss remains asleep. She's had quite the morning. Posy loves to play with her and insisted on playing tag up until it was time to say goodbye. Posy may not be very big but she's quite the runner. If she was in a race with Vick or Rory they would only win because they're taller than her.
   I grab the duffle bag we threw all our stuff into before gently picking up Katniss. She shifts in my arms and groans, wanting to stay where she was.
"I'm taking you home Catnip." She nods and goes back to sleep.
   I carry her the short way to our house and then in the door. I lie her down upstairs in the bedroom.
"Goodnight." I tell her and kiss her forehead. She grabs my hand before I can leave.
"Noooo..." She murmurs against the back of my hand.
"I gotta go get food. Don't you want that?"
"No. I just want you." She says softly, still not opening her eyes.
"Okay," I sigh,"Only for a little while." She nods her head and I climb under the covers with her. She fits right into my arms like we were puzzle pieces. Her breathing evens out within seconds and I'm finding it hard to keep my eyes open. After about a half an hour, I cautiously move off the bed. She stays asleep. I kiss her forehead once more before leaving the room.
"Love you Catnip."
   I go downstairs and grab my hunting bag and then head to the woods to hunt something. I find three squirrels and a rabbit. I skin and gut them in the woods before shoving them in my bag and heading back home.
   I enter the front door and notice the lights aren't on. Katniss is probably still sleeping. I assume this fact until I hear footsteps upstairs. They're louder than Katniss would ever be. Suddenly my mind switches to alert and I walk quickly but silently upstairs.
   Hugging the wall, I peak through the door to where Katniss should be sleeping, she's still there. The footsteps are coming from the room across the hall where the light is turned on. I bring my knife out of my jean pocket and quietly click it open.
   As soon as I see the figure through the door I try to slam him into the wall, he ducks under my arm. I spin around grabbing him again, pressing the knife to his throat.
"Easy Gale." Peeta raises his hands up in surrender. I loosen my hold on the knife but keep it where it is.
"The hell are you doing in my house?" I ask him in a harsh whisper, trying not to wake Katniss.
"Thought no one was home, and came to grab my stuff. If you don't mind?" He asks sarcastically. I look around the room and there's a box of random canvases and paint bottles. I lower my knife from his throat.
"Don't mind at all." I sigh and begin to walk out.
"Gale if your still mad at me I get it." He calls after me. Anger builds up in me and I turn around and lay a good punch to his jaw. The impact spins him around and he turns back to me holding his jaw but not getting ready to fight back.
"I don't give a damn about what you did to me. But hell if I don't hold a grudge after all you put Katniss through."
"Gale it's not my fault what the Capitol did to me."
"No it's not. But you put Katniss in danger multiple times. The first games, you almost let the career pack find her. Quarter Quell she was almost mauled by killer monkeys, drowned, bled to death, and electrocuted."
"I had to stay with Beetee Gale, you of all people know that."
"No Peeta. There is always another way. Sometimes those other ways require sacrifice." He looks down at the ground.
"You were tortured so that it would be your mission to kill Katniss, it shouldn't be shock to you if I have an edge when your around." He nods and shrugs his shoulders.
"You're right. I was programmed to kill Katniss. And I did do all those things in the games but wether you like how I did it or not I was trying to keep Katniss and myself alive. And don't tell me you don't know about fighting for survival." He has a point I'll give him that.
"And I am moving past that. I don't have to fight for my life anymore. But I'll continue to fight for Katniss. Because she's the only one that was in those games with me." He sighs and puts his hands in his pockets. I continue to stare at him skeptically.
"Look. We both love Katniss. Differently of course, but still. If we continue to hold something against each other we'll only be hurting her. And I'd rather not do that would you?"
I sigh in defeat.
"No."
"Geez don't sound so disappointed, you can still hold a grudge if you want to." His sarcasm lightens the mood.
"Well that's a relief then." I retort. I hold my hand out and he shakes it with a firm grip.
"Aw look at you two." Katniss stifles a laugh from her position, leaning on the doorframe. I roll my eyes.
"Katniss you're back!" Peeta smiles as she embraces him.
"We got back this afternoon, do have plans this evening?"
"Not that I know of..."
"Gale could we have Peeta and Delly over for dinner? Please?" She sticks out her lip and pleads with those big grey eyes. I sigh.
"I guess..."
Katniss smiles and throws her arms around my neck, kissing me. I barely have time to register what just happened before she brakes us apart and turns back to Peeta.
"Great, does 6:00 work?"
Peeta smiles and lifts his box of stuff.
"I'll tell Delly."
Katniss smiles and goes to get ready. I shake my head. She's a confusing one.
Peeta gives a curt nod and I return it. He may be kind of a mushy guy but maybe getting along won't be so hard.