Chapter Seventeen: At 3:00 AM

*Katniss*
   "Katniss."
"No Prim just five more minutes."
"Katniss wake up."
I slowly open my eyes and find myself in the meadow. The sun is warm and all around me are primroses. It's beautiful. I turn my head to see who was waking me up. And I scream when Prim's blue eyes meet mine.
"Shhh Katniss you'll draw attention to yourself! We don't have much time."
"You're...you're..."
"Dead? I know."
"Then what...? How..??...why?"
"Katniss, you're still in bed. This is a dream. We don't want to wake Delly, because then she'll wake you up and I'll go back and we will have missed out on talking. Please just listen."
I nod my head as I stare at her in disbelief.
"Katniss you need to let go of me. My death is holding you back from your future and I can't stand to see it happen. Don't be afraid to love him. Okay? And tell Gale that it wasn't his fault and that if he still blames himself then I forgive him. Can you do that?"
I nod my head. Tears form in my eyes as I look at her face for the first time in three years.
"Prim I'm so sorry I couldn't get to you fast enough. I'm sorry that you had to grow up so fast. I wish you didn't have to."
She hugs my tight and I bury my face in her small shoulder. She still smells the same. Like the air after a rainstorm.
"Oh Katniss it's okay. It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. Promise me."
"I promise." I say.
"Dad and Finnick send their love. Tell mom I love her." She starts to fade away.
"Goodbye Prim, I miss you, I love you." I manage to choke out through my tears.
"I love you too Katniss."

I wake up crying. I sit up in bed and cry some more into my hands because I've missed her so much. She would have loved this new life and yet she was gone before she could even see it. I just miss her.
   I wipe my tears off with my blanket and look at the time. 3:00 AM on the dot. At least she's safe. At least she's happy. And so are Dad and Finnick. This thought stops my tears and instead brings a content feeling that courses through my body. They're someplace good. They're happy. She doesn't blame you or Gale. Gale. I have to tell him.
   I leap out of bed and throw on some clothes. I run down the stairs, tripping on the last one and almost fall, because my hands are occupied with braiding my hair. I must've made a lot of noise because Delly runs down the stairs and trips like I did except she isn't so lucky and falls to the ground.
"Delly!" I whisper loudly as I help her up. She grips my arms and with eyes half open, exclaims "Where on earth could you be going at this unholy hour!?"
"Delly I had a dream I have to tell Gale that..." But then my heart sinks to the floor. He's in a coma. He's been asleep for almost a month now. Even if I told him he might not hear me...or know it's me at all...
   All at once my heart breaks into a million pieces and I collapse to the floor and sob. I fought so hard for him. To have him back, to have him home, and now he might as well be gone.
   Delly tries to console me but eventually all she can do is lead me to the living room couch. She sits close next to me and hugs me until I've cried all my tears.
"This is so stupid." I choke out after a while.
"What is?"
"All that time spent to get Gale back and then he's here but he's not. He might never wake up. And if he does he might not even remember me. What the hell does this life have against me!? When did I do something so wrong as to deserve this constant torture!?"
   Delly turns herself and I so that we're facing eachother on the couch. Then grips my hands.
   "Hey look at me. We're gonna get through this okay. We're gonna tough it out. Gale is going to wake up one day and he'll remember you. And you know why?" I shake my head.
"Because he'd have to be dead to forget you. Not even then. He'd NEVER forget you. Okay? We are not going to sit here and give up hope okay? You are Katniss Everdeen. You're the beacon of hope. You are the reason we are sitting here today. Now let's just figure something out alright?"
I nod my head again. I must have a surprised expression on my face due to Delly's sudden inspirational speech, because she loosens her grip on my hands. How on earth does she come up with these things? And at 3:00 in the morning! Her unfailing optimism never ceases to amaze me.
"Nadia didn't say there was anything that could wake him up did she?"
I shake my head.
"She said that any other treatments or surgeries were risky and she didn't want to try anything unless she had a professional."
"What about your mother?"
"She's working in the Capitol she's probably too busy and I don't want to add that much stress..."
"Katniss whatever your middle name is Everdeen! you are her daughter. She will do whatever she can to help you. Now go pick up that phone this instant and call her or so help me I will do it myself."
   Again her sudden stubbornness startles me. And I raise my hands in surrender as I walk to the phone. I dial my mothers work number and it rings three times. I almost think she won't answer but she picks up at the last minute.
   I talk it over with her and she agrees to do a surgery, just like Delly said.
"Katniss, you understand though, that it is very risky." My mind is already made up.
"I know mom, but I know Gale wouldn't want to be completely useless for who knows how long when he knew there was a way out." There's a pause on the other end of line before she says,"You're right. I'll be there tomorrow."
She hangs up and so do I.
"So!?" Delly says.
"My mom's gonna do the surgery. She'll be here tomorrow."
"See I told you!!" She exclaims and she immediately embraces me.
"I should call Hazelle." I say, knowing she's want to be informed. She and the kids came to visit Gale a couple weeks ago. They stayed in his hospital room for the whole two days they were here. Hazelle was rarely ever seen not holding one of his hands and Posy was always curled up with him. She surprised us all by staying strong for almost the whole visit. She'd tell him all about they're new house in district four, and her playmate Finn, who Hazelle watches when Annie isn't around. She told him everything, about her and Vick and Rory's school and all their friends and how he'd have to come visit them so that they could go swimming in the ocean together.
   When it was time for them to leave, Posy cried as she kneeled on his bed and looked at his face.
"Wake up soon Gale, I love you." With that she kissed his cheek and Hazelle carried her all the way to the train station.
    Delly tells me calling Hazelle is a good idea and that she is going back to bed. I tell her goodnight as the phone rings and a sleepy Rory answers.
"Who is this?" He mumbles.
"Rory it's me Katniss."
"Katniss, the heck are you doing at four in the morning?" He says rather annoyed by my waking him up.
"Rory just give the phone to your mom."
"Fine." He moans.
Hazelle finally gets the phone and I explain my conversation with my mother. She tells me she understands the risks and that she wouldn't trust anyone but my mother to be doing the surgery. I ask if she would come to district twelve tomorrow and she tells me she's already packing her stuff.
"And for goodness sakes Katniss do you ever sleep?" She exclaims. I smile.
"Sometimes." She laughs quietly as not to wake her kids. She's always been like a second mom to me. And I admire her independence and strength to raise four kids even after her husband's death.
"Well you go get some sleep and we'll see you tomorrow."
"Alright goodnight Hazelle."
"Goodnight sweetheart." The phone clicks off.
I sigh. Well, I didn't get dressed for nothing.
   I leave a note on the kitchen counter telling Delly where I've gone. I quietly slip on my hunting boots and jacket and make my way down to the hospital.
   The lights are dimmed in Gale's room and I walk slowly to his bedside and sit down in the chair that's located there. I run my fingers through his hair and take his hand.
"I have so much to tell you when you wake up," I whisper against his skin before kissing the back of his hand.
"Goodnight Gale."
And the last image I have before falling asleep is my fingers intertwined with his. And I hope that tomorrow his grip will return mine.