12: Ex-what?

Three hours later and I was walking back into my office with a wide smile on my face. Duncan was sitting on the sofa with Ken, standing at attention near the door. I glanced at him.

"Don't your legs get tired?"

"No,"

"Okay." I went to my chair and then checked my emails. "Turns out the situation was actually a seven. I still need to teach the staff how to rate stuff."

"That's good," Duncan stood up from the sofa and took a seat on the chair in front of my desk. He put his hands on his chin and smiled, watching me work. "I'm proud of you, you know that?"

I smiled. "I know."

"You're so full of yourself too." I smiled as I typed away.

"Yeah, well stop saying nice things to me, especially when I know they're true." Duncan laughed. I carried on with my work and Duncan went onto his phone.

I glanced at him and he seemed engrossed in his phone conversation.

"Duncan," he gave me an inquisitive look, "who's the father." His phone slipped from his grip and I frowned. He cleared his throat and picked up the phone. He smiled, but it looked forced.

"Why the sudden question?" He wiped invisible sweat off of his left cheek.

"Why do you think, Duncan?" Duncan did not look at me. He shook his head.

"I can't tell you," I sighed, but nodded.

"At least tell me if he is still alive." Duncan nodded.

"He is, yes."

"Then why wasn't he there when I woke up?" Duncan did not reply. He kept on poking at his stupid phone. I did not even have a phone anymore. "Duncan, answer me, please."

"I have to leave," he quickly stood from the seat and I knew I couldn't make him stay, "Ken knows where your food is. I'll see you at home."

"Okay."

💖🎤💖

"I love you," I sat back and stared into his eyes. I stared at him in shock and he ended up looking away. "It's too soon, isn't it? I'm sorry, forget that I said that."

I smiled and then snuggled back to his chest. I wrapped my hands around his torso.

"I don't want to forget it." I said, feeling myself getting even happier than I already was. "I love you too, by the way. You make me food." He chuckled also wrapping his arms around me.

"You're weird."

"Apparently you love my weirdness." He rested his chin on top of my head.

"I do."

💖🎤💖

"That's it for today, Ken." I smiled as I stood up from my chair. Ken opened the door for me and I smiled gratefully at him.

When I got outside it was dark. I had been in the office for longer than I had anticipated. A raindrop fell onto my nose and my face scrunched up.

"It's about to rain," I loudly stated. Just as I said that a familiar black SUV stopped besides us. I looked at it in confusion as the door opened. Ken pushed me aside and looked what was inside instead.

"Hi, Ken," J.J said with a smile on his face. "Didn't see you this morning. I was worried, Lesedi."

"Are you here to kidnap me again?" Jasmine popped his head out of the SUV. He was also smiling.