20: Kidnapped. Again.

"Sara, why are you upset?" I asked, ignoring the movie that my best friend and I were supposed to be watching.

"How can you go on a date with him when you knew that I liked him?" She sneered crossing her arms. I had never seen her that angry before.

"You never told me," I said, frowning as I scooted closer to her.

"I was the one to show you the guy. I mean, why would I even show you a hot white guy?" I kept silent as the sentence sunk in.

"You mean," I saw Sara's features turn guilty as soon as she noticed my expression, "what do you mean?"

"Nothing, Sedi, gosh that just came out. I did not mean it." She moved closer and I stood up. I did not look at her, but knew that she felt guilty

"I guess our friendship also disgusts you, doesn't it?" I sighed. I ran out of her apartment, ignoring her desparate calls and apologies.

💝💭💝

"You're drinking alone?" The chair in front of me was pulled so that the person who had spoken, Derek, could sit. "Lesedi?"

I sighed, pushing my phone towards the person who was seated in front of me.

"How could someone change so much just because I wanted to think about what she had said to me? She made it sound like because I was black I had to only date black guys and then she felt insulted that I was upset with her." I sighed again, most likely the millionth time that day.

Derek turned the phone over so that I couldn't see the message anymore.

"She doesn't deserve your friendship."

"I never thought that I'd be the girl to leave her best friend for the guy that she just met." I sniffled, knowing that I was going to cry. I put my head on my hand one the table.

"Lesedi, you are not that girl. You are too good to be that girl. Sara has to understand that we are dating now." I lifted my head to look at Derek. "She should have been happy for you, instead she sends you insultung messages about you being a terrible friend."

"Don't I deserve it?"

"No one deserves that." I smiled at Derek's attempt to try to make me feel better. "Do you want another cup?" He meant of coffee.

I shook my head.

"Let's go out for milkshake." I looked at the apron that he was wearing and my eyes widened. "You're still working? Then why did you come sit here?"

"I wanted to see if you were okay." He shot me a charming grin. "If I have any hope to be with someone like you, then I have to be the perfect boyfriend."

"Thank you." He nodded and then stood up.

"If you have time, my shift ends in ten. We can have our milkshake date then."

"I'm free."

💝💭💝

"Duncan wait!" I held onto Duncan's arm, stopping him midstep. His eyes widened in worry as he looked down at me.