Chapter 4 - Hayden

We've all been ordered into our best clothes for Alice's arrival though why, I don't really understand. I honestly don't think Alice cares whether we wear our pyjamas for her visitation but arguing this with my dad appears futile.

Eventually I give up and I'm forced into a shirt and black pants feeling rather like a waiter for some prestigious restaurant intended for the upper class. My dad is actually standing us in the hall to greet her which I don't appreciate. Several times I have tried - and failed - to sidle away whilst I assume no one's looking.

It just ensured my dad stayed beside me at all times, making sure I don't have the chance to run off again.

'Is my skirt straight?' Kyra asks for the fifth time and I repress the urge to snap at her. I assume she's being obsessive though I'm not sure why she's so bothered about how Alice sees her.

'It's fine,' Anna beams. She's the only one seemingly excited for Alice's visit. The rest of us either aren't bothered or appear to be nervous for it.

At this point, I hear a gentle knock on the door and all four of us cast glances towards it, as if threatening one another to answer it.

Finally, Anna sighs and shoots us all a withering glance over her shoulder.

'Are you all incapable of answering the door?' She says but none of us respond. Instead, she goes to do the job and immediately pulls the smaller girl in for a hug. I lean a little to my right, trying to see her appearance and raise an eyebrow once she reveals her face to the rest of us.

Honestly, she hasn't really changed. Her blonde hair reaches just past her shoulders and brown eyes are still exactly the same, though that's an obvious deduction. I had been hoping she would be almost unrecognisable to us all but then I remind myself we have seen her on video chats and they've never shown any difference.

She steps over to each person, greeting them in excitement and waving her hands around like an idiot. When she finally reaches me, her whole demeanour changes and I smirk at my knowledge of this.

She knows I don't like her and I'm sure the feeling is mutual though she doesn't make this obvious.

'Hayden,' she says politely, nodding her head. She holds out her hand to shake my own but quickly drops her gesture upon seeing my disgusted expression.

'Nice to see you again,' I say, monotonously as if I'm speaking from a script, which, I pretty much am.

'Same goes for you,' she replies slowly, her eyes scrutinising and cold.

She removes her gaze after a few seconds and slips a smile back onto her face for the rest of my family.

She's been here for under ten minutes and I already want her to leave.

'Come on, Alice. I'll show you to your room,' Anna grips her daughters arm and the two climb the stairs together.

Meanwhile, my father drags both Kyra and I into the front room and scowls harshly at me.

'What the hell do you think you're doing,' he snaps and I barely flinch.

'Being polite to my guest,'

'You call that crap polite? I dread to think how you treat others normally when we aren't around,'

'I'm even nicer to them,' I roll my arms in sarcasm though neither of them seem too impressed. In fact, my dad looks about ready to punch a wall.

'Hayden, please take this seriously,' Kyra says gently, annoyance settling on her own features.

'I am taking this seriously,' I say coldly, 'to be honest, I'm behaving pretty damn well knowing that she's going to be staying in my house,'