Chapter 20 - Hayden

I knock on the door of Rayna's house. I hadn't really gotten to speak to her much earlier and so I returned later. My nerves are rising, I know I have to tell her what I've been hiding and I know it isn't going to turn out well.

'Hayden?' Jane says as she sees me on her step.

'Hi, Jane,' I smile politely, 'how are you?'

'I'm wonderful thank you, would you like to come in?' She steps to the side so I can enter the house before she then points to the stairs.

'I think they're in Evander's room, you know where it is,' she sends me a quick smile before heading into the kitchen where I'm guessing she'd previously been.

As I walk up the stairs, I hear both Rayna and Evander laughing enthusiastically before abruptly stopping. The door is open so I can see and hear everything, they haven't spotted me yet.

'You know what, I used to like Alexis but now I don't,' Evander states bluntly, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow as I quietly chuckle. His pathetic attempt to seem more mature backfires and just adds to his sweet, adorable nature.

From what I can gather, Rayna has been telling her younger brother of the recent events. I suppose it's easier to speak to him about them then anyone else.

'Yeah well, she's very different now then when I used to be friends with her,' Rayna says honestly, closing her eyes as she leans back on the sofa. She open them with a start as Evander jumps on her and wraps his skinny arms around her own.

'People obviously change,' he states and she chuckles.

'Yeah, they do,'

I knock gently on the door and once I do, Evander demands an identity. I put on an accent and lower my voice.

'Howdy,'

I peer around the door and Evander shrieks at my presence. He engulfs me in a tight hug which I return. I catch Rayna's eye as she's kneeling on the floor in the midst of Evander's toys. I smile at her and Evander catches onto this, winking at me.

'Mum needs me,' he stares and runs out of the room possibly to join his mother down stairs.

As soon as he leaves, I shut the door behind him and join Rayna on the floor, sitting directly across from her.

'I feel like we didn't get to talk much earlier,' I say and she glances down, pulling a face.

'Yeah sorry about that, I must've been popular,' she joke and I weakly laugh. I know it's really obvious I'm nervous about something. The constant fidgeting is a sign that I desperate to tell her something.

Either that or it looks like I really, really needs to use the bathroom.

'What's the matter?' she asks and I stare at her for several moments. She looks so pretty, smiling sweetly, green eyes bright. I sigh and avert my gaze once again.

'When I called you over before, I kind of really wanted to talk about something,' I say. She frowns but nods along anyway.

'Okay then, what do you want to talk about?' She questions and I lean back, throwing my head back as I do so.

'It was about when Alexis kissed me,' I then state quickly and I feel my chest tighten slightly. Right now, Alexis is the last person I want to think about and yet I have to do this.