Chapter 12 - Hayden

I can't stop thinking about my actions in the park earlier today. I feel like I completely overreacted for no reason and I notice myself becoming a little guilty as a result.

I don't want Alano to think I'm angry at him when I'm definitely not. We've been friends for so long, I can't just have us split apart over some girl.

I pick up my phone and dial the familiar number I've called every week for so long. It takes him a while to pick up but when he does, his usual happy voice greets me.

'Hi Hayden,' he says and I exhale in relief knowing that he isn't angry at me. Or at least he isn't acting like he is.

'Hey, I...wanted to apologise for my actions earlier,'

'Oh it's fine,' he dismisses but I shake my head, despite the fact that he won't be able to see the action anyway.

'I still shouldn't have acted like that, it wasn't fair,' I say.

'Don't worry, jealousy can do that to people so it's okay,'

I stay silent for a moment trying to process what he'd just said. I mill his words over before finally reacting appropriately.

'Jealousy?!' I cry.

'Yeah, it's okay though,'

'Alano, I'm not jealous!'

He stays silent for a moment but I can tell he isn't even paying attention properly.

'Huh? What was that?' He asks, proving my point. He must be playing on his game or something.

'I said I'm not jealous!' I repeat, raising my voice so he can hear me better.

I hear him splutter slightly, 'yeah sure,'

'I'm not! You can go out with Rayna all you want but don't come to me when she ditches you,' I warn, raising an eyebrow, as if I'm not listening myself.

'Hayden, that date thing wasn't real,' he laughs and I hear the faint sound of his game in the background.

'What?' I ask him to repeat, just in case I hadn't heard it properly.

'The date I told you about wasn't real. I just put Rayna on the spot and made sure she agreed with me that it was so I could test you,'

'Test me?' I demand, 'test to see if I got jealous?'

'That was the idea,' he says in a melodic voice.

'Alano, how old are you? That's so childish,'

'I was curious,' he says in defence and I sit myself down rather then pacing round the room.

'So you two never went out?' I ask.

'Nope,' he mumbles, 'it was all just a spontaneous set up to see how you'd react,'

'Well it didn't work so you hardly achieved much,'

'You'd be surprised,' he laughs increasing my suspicious. Still, my thoughts are halted as a knock comes from our door. No one's in at the moment so I leave it at first, pretending I didn't hear it.

However, the knocking because insistent and loud, grating on my nerves.

'I've got to go,' I say to Alano, 'I'll speak to you soon,'

I put the phone down and proceed down the stairs before throwing the door open.

'What!' I cry as I see Alexis stood there, sheepishly staring back up at me.

'S-sorry...I knew you were in because I saw your car,'

I relax a little bit, knowing I probably should be go round yelling at people despite her refusal to give up on knocking at my door.