Chapter 11 - Rayna

The sun illuminates my front garden, passing shadow on where I'm sat on the porch. It's a gorgeous day, the sky vacant of clouds and soft breeze cooling down the warm atmosphere. I lean back slightly, staring at the book in my hands and occasionally breaking the calm silence with a flick of my page.

It's relaxing compared to yesterday and I try my hardest to push Hayden out of my mind.

'Rayna?' A voice alerts me all of a sudden and I glance up to see the most unexpected person in front of me.

'Alano?!' I cry and mark my page in the book quickly. I stand up and hug him tightly.

'It's been so long, it's great to see you again,' he cries and hugs me back. I step back and look over him. He's become a lot taller now and he's grown his hair out but he still has the same natural, happy expression on his face.

I've yet to meet someone kinder and more humorous then Alano. 

'It's great to see you,' I say and he grins.

'It was kind of a surprise. I didn't know you'd be here, I'm actually here for a visit myself!'

'Really? Aren't you at University?' I ask but he shakes his head.

'No I work with my dad in an art gallery, I really enjoy it,'

'Well that's great!' I smile and he nods in agreement.

'What about you? Are you working?'

'Yeah actually. I'm working at a primary school right now. I'm not really a...main teacher yet but I'm working towards it,'

'Good luck then,' he says, 'you don't want to come with me do you? I'm meeting with a friend but it would be nice if we could talk for a little while,'

I pick up my book from the floor and place it in my bag.

'Sure,' I say and gather up the rest of my things. He waits at the gate for me and opens it once I join him.

'Thanks,' I say and he smiles again.

'So have you seen Hayden yet?' He asks me but I sigh and nod.

'Yep,'

'You don't sound too pleased about it...' he says and I shrug.

'I wish I could say I was,'

'Why? What happened?'

'I don't think Hayden likes me being here. It was just unlucky for him that I ended up visiting the same time he was moving back,' I sigh and flick a strand of my hair from my face.

'I'm sorry Rayna, though I don't think he's telling the truth when he says he doesn't want you here,' he says slowly, carefully choosing his words, 'a lot went on for him when he was studying and, well, it affected him as a person,'

'Why? What happened?'

He hesitates for a moment and glances nervously at me.

'I wish I could tell you Ray but I really don't think it's my place to do so. You'll just have to wait for him to tell you,'

'He won't tell me, he can barely even look at me when we talk,' I say, surprised at the hint of sadness I hear in my voice.

'I know he'll tell you eventually, he's always really liked you. He can't avoid you forever,'

The tone in Alano's voice instantly makes me suspicious and I peer at him with narrow eyes.

'What?' He asks.

'Nothing,' I brush off, 'who's the friend you're going to see by the way?' I ask and his eyes go wide for a moment before looking away.

We've reached the park by this moment and we wait on one of the benches for his friend.