Short Turnabouts #1

Short Turnabouts presents...

Assumptions
~*~

Private investigator Vesgate Lawton here! I am here to tell you good people of what I do in my daily life—which is basically just solving mysteries. Basically, what we do here is I will tell you of a certain mystery I'm solving and you will try to solve it as you're reading. Can you solve the mystery within a few minutes? If you can, do you have any reasoning? The solution for the mystery can be found at the end of every chapter. Oh, and be sure to comment them out, along with how long it took you to solve the mystery! Don't cheat~!
__________________________________________________________
It seemed to be a normal day.

The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and it was quite quiet. Well, except for the television I was watching in boredom.

I let out a big sigh. What a slow day... It's calm, but it's quite boring. I finally decided to turn the TV off. What to do, what to do?

Time was 10:18 am... I don't know what to do...

Suddenly, loud knocks echoed through the office, successfully catching me off-guard. The person seemed to be in a rush, for some reason.

Finally discovering a reason to move, I stood up and quickly went for the door. Twisting the knob and opening it, a man in his 30s stood outside. He had short brown hair and black-colored eyes, which looked like it was shone by light. The wrinkles on his face proved that the man was old and probably mature, add his calm expression too. He wore a gray dress shirt and black pants with brown leather shoes as footwear.

Quite casual, I must say.

The man had a watch around his right wrist. He must be left-handed. For some reason, it was broken. You can tell because it was stuck on a specific time, 8:30.

Not being great with new people, I stuttered as I spoke, "Wh-what can I do for you, sir?"

"I'm Ack Houston, and I need your help," he said in a calm voice--though his sweating gives it away. I assume he's in some serious trouble.

"Um, sure," I replied, "How can I help you?"

"I have been accused of murder and I was hoping you could prove them wrong..."

"What...? But I'm not a lawyer, Mr. Houston," I reasoned. Had he mistaken me for one?

Though his reply kind of surprised me... He nodded and said, "I am aware of that, Mr. Lawton. But I do want to prove them wrong before my trial begins—which is tomorrow..."

Oh, so that's what he wanted... I wonder why he felt the need to rush...

So I decided to ask, "You seem to be in a rush on proving them wrong... Could I ask why?"

Silence. He didn't reply... Instead, a frown formed in his lips as he looked away, fiddling with his broken watch.

I nodded to myself and spoke, "I understand... Okay, I will gladly help you." I bowed.

As if light suddenly shone in a very dark night, Mr. Houston looked at me again, with a smile on his face this time.

"Thank you very much," he happily said as he placed his left hand on his chest. "Do follow me so you could see the crime scene..."