Happy Birthday Eve... Mr. Blackbourne

I slid my hand into his, turning my palm to match his.

He looked at our hands before turning his sliver gaze on me. "Miss Sorenson?" I watched as he let his gaze flicker back down to our hands and then back up again to meet my eyes.

"Mr. Blackbourne." I chose to acknowledge his greeting with a slight tilt of my head, not removing my eyes from his gaze.

The corners of his lips tilted up in a millimeter smile and my heart flittered in my chest. Perfect. As always, my Mr. Blackbourne was perfect. "Can I help you?" He asked lightly.

"Of course." I replied, just staring into his eyes for a long moment. 364 days ago, it had snowed in Charleston. I'd sent him a text and ended up on a chilly December picnic on a pier for his birthday. Sean had been very clear to me that I shouldn't expect to see him at all on his birthday. That text messages were the norm, giving him gifts after the fact was typical.

The good doctor had failed to tell me that he always snuck in to his best friends house and left a cake and party hat... just in case... he wanted to have a private party for himself. He had told me that it was always a solitary time for Owen. So imagine my surprise, when he showed up at the Lee's house that morning and asked if anyone had plans for me that day. It was an interesting day and I honestly, absolutely, learned a lot more about my Mr. Blackbourne.

"Miss Sorenson?" His tone conveyed a concern at my lack of full answer.

I blinked and sighed softly. We were almost 6 full months past the Ashley Waters debacle but just under a week away from my second camping trip. And he still insisted on formality. I was 17 and he was my 20 year old boyfriend.

One of them.

And for a day. Tomorrow he'd be my 21 year old boyfriend and that would probably be the straw that would send him right back over the edge of all propriety.

"I was wondering if I would be able to join you again tomorrow..." I said quietly, sitting next to him on the couch at Nathan's house. "And if you don't want company tomorrow, perhaps you'd be open to a bit of company tonight and you can drop me off wherever you want to in the morning." I rambled through the response, the lack of change in his gaze or expression driving a fit of nerves into the pit of my stomach and I gave his hand a squeeze, having almost forgot that I was holding on to his hand.

Clinging to it like it was a life preserver was more like it.

His eyes flickered with something that I couldn't quite decipher and he glanced at our hands again.

"please." I murmured softly. "Please don't shut me out." I couldn't help it, I felt my eyes well up with tears and my nose felt suspiciously itchy like I was either absolutely going to cry or maybe I needed to sneeze but either way, it wasn't what I wanted right now. Not when it was his day to wallow tomorrow.

His eyes met mine again and I felt every ounce of weight that he was applying to me with his gaze as he weighed his options of including me or being with me tonight against how badly he wanted to be alone.

"We don't even have to talk again." I murmured. "I'll be as quiet as you want me to be."

He sighed softly and leaned forward, his lips meeting mine in a gentle kiss. "Miss Sorenson." He murmured against my lips before he pulled away and shifted, pressing a kiss to my forehead before bringing our linked hands up and pressing a kiss to the back of my hand. "I'd be honored if you'd spend tonight with me and accompany me on my trip to the pier tomorrow." He said, solemnly, his eyes again locked on mine.

My eyes widened. "Really?"

He chuckled. "Yes." He nodded slightly.

'I don't mean to pressure you.." I said, lowering my head slightly.

He reached over with his free hand and nudged my chin up, applying delicate pressure to my chin with two fingers. "You're not." He said softly. "I was trying to figure out the best way to ask you to do that." He admitted. "It was so much easier last year. I didn't think about it at all, without realizing it I was over there asking if you were free. It was so much easier than thinking about it."

I smiled at him. "Okay. If you're sure." I said.

He leaned forward again and brushed his lips gently against mine. "I'm certain." He said. "I'm fairly certain that I'd always like to spend my birthday with you." He murmured. "Every birthday."

"Well, maybe I should go gather a few things together." I said.

"Or..." he squeezed my hand lightly. "You could just use the small wardrobe that Mr. Coleman wedged into my closet. He stocked up everything else that you prefer as well so you would have everything you need if you stay with me."

"Well then, maybe we should head home then." I said, tilting my head to look at him. "Happy Birthday." I murmured.

His eyes crinkled at the corners as he gave me a millimeter smile. "Oh yes, very happy birthday to me, this year." He said softly before helping me up from the couch so we could say good night or good bye to everyone before we went to his house.

(Fade...)