The Big One

Owen glanced down as Sang slid her hand into his. “Good evening, darling.”

She smiled at him. “Good evening, my love.”

He gave her hand a squeeze. “Not that I’m opposed to the hand holding but how can I help you tonight?” He arched an eyebrow at her.

She laughed softly. “Oh, Owen… It’s not really how you can help me so much but how can I help you?”

“I don’t understand.”

She stretched up on tiptoe and kissed him lightly. “Let me help you understand. Shall we sit down?” she nodded towards the couch before leading him to it and waiting for him to sit down before she joined him. She clasped her hands around his and studied him for a long moment. “Twenty years ago, tomorrow, you took me to one of the most meaningful lunches I’ve ever had the honor of being present at.”

Owen blinked, a sharp jolt of pain reminding him that his birthday was the next day. Somehow, after all this time in the rush of being a husband, father, brother and businessman, he’d completely managed to forget. “Oh.”

“I’ve never forgotten that lunch. It gave me some incredible insight into the man I knew you to be.” She continued as if he hadn’t uttered a word. “I believe I fell in love with you completely that day even if I didn’t understand what the feelings meant.” She admitted.

“You’ve always had incredible instincts when it comes to what any of us need.”

“Thank you. It’s a gift.” She demurred.

He chuckled. “Well, somehow, I managed to forget about it entirely this year.”

Sang smiled and he studied the way her eyes crinkled at the corners. He’d always found her to be beautiful and the twenty years that had passed seemed as though it had only been twenty seconds. She was just as beautiful as ever and the fact that she’d borne their family five beautiful children only increased his love and admiration of her. “Well then, we are well suited as a match. Because I have not forgotten, and I was wondering if you’d like to join me on a 20-year retro anniversary lunch.”

“A retro anniversary lunch?”

She nodded. “I know we’ve made it a practice of taking the kids with us over the past few years but… we’ve got quite a passel now.” She chuckled. “Does it at all seem right that we’ve got children who are 10, 8, 6 and 3? I mean, we do have two 8-year-olds but still.” She smiled.

He laughed. “It’s quite the brood we’re raising, Miss Sorenson. One that I certainly did not see coming twenty years ago when the most beautiful girl in the world hit me point blank in the chest with an ice-cold water stream after gliding over the hood of my car. Let’s not discuss how she also flies like an angel off school balconies.”

She laughed again. “So, yes to lunch? Just us? The kids are all off to lessons and hanging out with the dads tomorrow before a sleepover at Auntie Jessica’s house with the cousins. I took the liberty of clearing your schedule for the day.” She said.

“Ah, you are the best administrative assistant I’ve ever had.” The corners of his lips tilted up into a small smile.

“The best and only.” She said, with a smirk.

“The best and only.” He agreed before tilting his head towards hers and slanting his lips over hers and kissing her deeply. “I accept your lunch invitation.”

“Great. I’ll have everything ready to go at ten.” She murmured, pulling away and resting her hands against his face. “Happy 40th, my love.”

~Fade ~