Happy Birthday, Dearest

"Come now, dearest." She murmured, cuddling her son close. "Tell me all about it."

Owen looked up at his mother and shrugged slightly. "Nothing's wrong, Mother." He said.

"I know you're upset that your father's company party is this evening." Dorthea Blackbourne smoothed the hair away from her 5-year old's forehead and pressed a kiss to it. "I am fully aware that it is not how you'd like to spend your birthday at all."

"It's all right, Mother. I realize it's a commitment for Father."

"But you shouldn't be made to perform as though you were a performing circus monkey." She said, frowning slightly. "So, let's hear it, what did you decide on this year? Piano or violin?"

Owen smiled up at her. "Violin. Nanny Fiona said that she liked my version of 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas' better on violin over the piano."

"Then I'm positive that it will be just delightful, dearest." Dorthea smiled at him.

"After I play the song, will we be able to celebrate my birthday, Mother?"

Her hand reached up and clutched at the pearls she wore, fingering them nervously as she weighed her answer to him carefully. "I'd like to say yes." She murmured. "But chances are, Owen, that it will be your bed time by the time you finish playing for your father's guests."

"Oh." Dorthea smiled softly at him as his brow furrowed and he scowled at the floor. "That's not fair." He finally said.

"I know." She said softly. "Not many things in life are, dearest." She smoothed his hair and pressed a kiss to the top of his head. "Cook and the others have everything under control for tonight. What would you like to do today to celebrate your birthday?"

His face lit up and he smiled up at her. "Can we go to the lake?" He asked.

"It's not very warm out." She said.

"Please, Mother? I don't want to go swimming, just maybe we could take a picnic lunch and go sit somewhere there to have it."

He seemed so excited about the idea that she didn't have the heart to say no.

She glanced at her watch before pulling him close and hugging him. "I think that sounds lovely, Owen." She said softly. "I'll have Cook make us up a picnic, what would you like?" Her own smile beamed back at his as he rattled off his favorites – fried chicken, peaches and potato salad. "Delicious." She proclaimed about his choice of menu. "Go get your coat and change your shoes for a trip to the lake." She said, giving him a gentle swat on the rear to get him moving before she got off the loveseat herself and headed to speak to the cook.

It wasn't much, and she knew it. But Owen didn't ask for much in general and she knew that as well. She looked around and sighed softly. All the best that money could buy for anything her child could ever want but she knew he would like to earn favor with his father but deep down, she knew it would never be given and it broke her heart to know that she was the best as far as parents he would have. She almost ran into the nanny as she was lost in her thoughts. "Oh, Fiona. I didn't see you coming."

"That's all right, ma'am." The nanny peered at her. "Is everything all right? Owen certainly seemed excited when he dashed by me to his room."

Dorthea nodded. "The small measure of happiness I can give him on his birthday is a trip to the lake with a picnic. Would you like to come with us?" She invited.

Fiona smiled. "Thank you for the invitation but I... well... if it's all right with you, I was hoping to have a bit of a birthday party with Owen before he goes to bed tonight. I know he has to play for his father's guests tonight but perhaps he can be allowed a bit of a later bedtime tonight?"

"Oh." Dorthea's eyes lit up. I would appreciate that so much because he is a bit down at how this birthday is packed with things."

"Say no more, ma'am. I'll take care of it. Just let me know if there's anything that I can pick up while I'm out as a gift from you." Fiona said softly.

"I will let you know." She nodded slightly and glanced at her watch again. "I need to go talk to the cook and find something appropriate to wear to the lake in December." she laughed softly.

"I'll go speak to the cook about your picnic." Fiona offered. "Let me guess, fried chicken, diced peaches and potato salad?" She asked, knowing that Owen had been requesting the meal quite often in the past few weeks.

"Yes." Dorthea nodded. "And thank you." she gave Fiona's arm a squeeze before she hurried to her room to change. She also had been debating about a few things to get for her son and just hadn't had time to purchase them yet.

She knew that made her possibly the worst mother ever, but she'd planned on slipping out for them today while he was practicing. She glanced at her watch again. That was going to be out the window in favor of a picnic.

But it was Owen and what he wanted, and she wanted him to be happy and this picnic would do that. She pulled on her coat and wound a scarf around her neck before slipping her feet into a pair of flats and met him in the hallway. "Ready, dearest?" She asked.

"Yes, Mother." He beamed up at her and she took his hand, cradling his small hand in hers and he squeezed her hand as he wrapped his fingers around hers.

"Happy birthday, dearest." She murmured before bending down again to kiss his cheeks. Her baby was growing up far to fast for her liking.

His cheeks tinted pink. "Thank you, Mother." he said, ducking his head slightly before smiling again. Dorthea gave his hand another squeeze before smoothing down his hair and pressing another kiss to his forehead.

"Now, off to the lake."

Owen's gray eyes were bright with excitement as he nodded. "Off to the lake." He echoed.

Dorthea stopped and looked down at him. "Owen... I love you very much. You are the best thing in my life and I want you to know that. From the bottom of my heart, I love you so much, always and forever, dearest." She reached down and cupped his chin, smiling at him.

His eyes widened and he smiled back. I love you too, Mother. Always and forever."

"Happy Birthday, my son."

(Fade...)