Chapter 10

"Need my help with what Kyle, you've been MIA for almost a week"
"I know, I'll explain everything, just please meet at rosebud diner at 8"
"That's on the outskirts of town"
"I know just please"
"Okay, see you"

**
It was almost 7:45 and I had to leave now to get to the diner at 8 but Tessa was following me like a hawk so there was no chance I was sneaking out "um hey guys, can I go meet lily for dinner, she wants to chat" I smiled.
"Do you really have to go out whilst I'm here? That's rude isn't it?" Typical witch.
"I wouldn't usually ask but she's having a tough time at home" I lied.
"Sure honey, be back by ten" mum smiled giving me a knowing nod. I lept from the couch grabbing my bag and keys before Aunty Tess could ruin the agreement so I ran to my car immediately pulling out.
It was quite a shifty place we were meeting, not much around apart from lots of dim street lights. Once I got out of my car I saw Kyle leaning against his, he smiled but I just frowned.
"what have you gone and done now Kyle?"
"I've just got some business I've had to deal with?" I gave him a stern look to continue "you know that stuff going on before I left, hasn't exactly finished" I felt a little pang in the chest. Before getting sent to boarding school Kyle was involved in some pretty bad gambling, with some pretty damn selfish people who would stop at nothing to get what their owed, Kyle had a tendency to run without paying up.
"Why am I here?" How could I possibly help.
"Well they're looking for me you see, I'm hiding out in the city, just tell everyone I'm visiting some school mates"
"You can't keep hiding Kyle"
"Just till I get the money Katie, I swear then I'm done"
"How much?" I don't know if I wanted to hear this answer.
"$2000" I punched his arm "ow what was that for?"
"For being a dick, you know these guys would kill you for that money god dammit" his eyes softened, he hated pulling me into this, I only found out the first time because I overheard a phone call and witnessed a visits from one of these uncanny guys. After a bite to eat we just sat in silence. I was scared for Kyle, he was my first everything and part of me still loves him and seeing him get hurt will honestly cause me to break, I can't take that much more. Kyle paid the waitress whilst I gathered our things, he wrapped his arm around my waist leading us out to our cars. I have him a tight hug pulling away but he kept me close "a kiss for good luck" he whispered, I leant forward placing a soft kiss on his lips then punching his shoulder lightly.
"Don't mess it up" I laughed and he nodded waving as I walked back towards my car. He better come back in one piece.

As soon as I pulled up in the driveway I saw mum sat on the porch coffee cup in hand. I sat down beside her staring at the street, we use to do this when I was younger, we'd sit out here at night and talk drinking hot drinks "hey" I whispered, she smiled resting her hand on my knee squeezing it.
"How was church today" she chuckled "she's in bed" she clarified so I stopped whispering.
"Boring, Jace surprised me there though" I smiled playing with a rip in my jeans.
"Is that who you went to see?"
"I saw Kyle"
"He's back?" She exclaimed smiling "I should call Kelly"
"Um not exactly, he just stopped to see how I was, he's visiting some old school mates for a while, he misses them" I spoke the lie that Kyle had told me and it felt like vile in my mouth "he'll be back soon he hopes" I added. Mum just nodded tracing the rim of her cup with her finger. It was chilly but for some reason I felt at ease out here.
"Come on we best go in side, she may be in bed but she's most likely waiting for your return" mum laughed standing up walking towards the door, I smiled following her in the house and once I reached my room mum was right, Tessa popped her head out giving me a sickening smile.
"Glad your home deer" I forced a smile heading to my room closing the door, god she's a handful.

**
I was glad to be back at school, however the boys predictions were right, Tessa drove me everyday and dropped me at the gate and waited until I was inside to leave and would pick me up and wait at the front gate of the school and would walk me to her car. No embarrassing at all. I hardly saw the boys apart from lunch and the occasional classes I had with them, and it was killing me being away. Kyle had been in contact briefly notifying me he was still alive. Oh and I tried sneaking out the other night, note to self don't do that again. It was now Thursday though and tomorrow night was winter formal, which I haven't really mentioned to Tessa yet and it's going to be quite interesting.
I was sat in art with Lily and Hanna trying to figure out a plan for tomorrow night since I'm almost positive she won't let me go to a formal.
"Um just say your saying at my house?" Lil offered
"Yeah say it's my birthday sleepover?" Hanna added.
"This may work, she doesn't like me with the boys, she'll be stoked if I'm hanging with you guys" I smiled, maybe this will actually work.
"I'll pick you up at 6ish and we get ready at mine, and you can stay at mine after or go home with Jace" Lily wiggled her eyebrows and I just smacked her arm.
"It's not like that" I argued.
"I didn't say it was" she giggled "your friends, you've stayed at his house, it's not odd" I just laughed at her excuses but agreed, I probably would end up staying with Jace, I miss him like crazy "alright this should work, I'll confront the witch after school and let you know" I hugged them both just as the bell went.

I saw Jace heading towards the door just after the bell for last period had rung "Jace wait" I grabbed his arm pulling him back, we couldn't go outside the cow would see, my face immediately light up once I saw his smile.
"Katie, hi, what's happening tomorrow night, I've meant to catch you but it's been impossible"
"I've mad a plan with the girls, I'll meet you here at 7:30"
"I can't wait" I wrapped my arms around him, I miss him so much, I miss them all, but me and Jace, we were always joined at the hip, saw each other most days and it kills me to be away from him like this, he's my best friend. I felt him kiss my head holding me a little longer, when we pulled apart we exchanged no words just a small smile as we parted ways, he walked out before me then I did a few moments later, rushing to aunts car.
"Hi Aunty Tess" I slammed the door.
"Sweetie what took you so long?"
"Just talking to Lily and Hanna" I smiled and she nodded starting the car.
"So sweetie, next weekend I've got the charity ball back home"
"Oh that's nice"
"Yes, and your joining me" I chocked "I've entered you in the auction" the auction, she entered me in the auction. People literally bid to spend the night with you, I've always hated the idea of it, I've only been to the ball once and it was only because Cameron convinced me to go because he had to hots for some rich mans daughter, we aren't of a monied class so never attended these things, however Tessa is, she's all Chanel and pearls on a Sunday morning. I closed my mouth grinding my teeth, there was nothing I could say to stop this so why bother.
"Hey Aunty Tess, the girls were wondering if I could stay at Lily's tonight, it's Hanna's birthday, we've planned a movie marathon and dinner?" I smiled sweetly.
"Oh I suppose you can" I internally screamed.

"Oh wow, you girls look gorgeous" I smiled at my friends, they'd just put on their dresses. I had just finished my hair and makeup but was still in my sweats and hoodie. I'd straightened my naturally frizzy curly hair and put some loose curls in the bottom pinning one side back, I went with simple makeup and a bronze eye shadow with some false lashes, had to make some kind of dramatic statement. Whilst Lil and Han were adjusting their hair I slipped into my dress, the full length black one I purchased a few weeks ago, slipping on my black heels I stood up smiling.
"The only word that comes to mind is damn" Lily smirks making me laugh.
I grabbed my clutch as did the others and we all went downstairs taking photos then hoping in our cars heading to the school. I rode with Lil. As we all pulled up Hanna put her heels on "it hasn't even started and these heels are killing me, how do you walk in those" she points to mine and Lily's stiletto heels, they were quite thin but I'd learnt over the years, Hanna's heel were a lot thicker, a lot more stable for sure. We both shrugged telling her to suck it up. I linked my arm in hers keeping her stable whilst we walked into the gym, it was already crowded and music was blaring.
"There's our dates" Hanna pointed to her and Lily's date.
"Go, they're drooling" I shoved them "I'm going to wait out front for Jace" they looked at me weary until finally walking to meet their dates. I stood outside the gym scrolling through my phone when I heard a wold whistle.

Jace, Liam and Eli all walked together "holy shit Katie, when did you grow up?" Liam laughed, I rolled my eyes shoving him in the ribs. The two boys walked in saying they were going to find their dates whilst I stood in front of Jace with no words, he looked gorgeous, he was wearing black pants, dress shoes, a black button down shirt and black tie, a lot of black I know but he pulled it off.
"Katie, wow" I felt my cheeks begin to heat up "you look gorgeous"
"You look pretty good yourself" I smiled and he did a stupid bow.
"For you" he pulled sunflower from behind his back, my favourite, I grasped the flower in my hand smiling, this boy drives me crazy "shall we" he offered me his arm which I linked with mine. I'm in for one hell of a night.

******
Short I know. No excuse other than Christmas and family, you could say I have an aunt quite similar to Tess ;) xx thank you for reading!