Signs of Life

"Do you think it actually opens something?" Alexander ask, eyes locked on the bronze key in Gwen's hands

Off in the distance birds chip away. While clouds block the sun. As they lounge on red patio furniture. In his homes backyard. The owners off doing whatever calls to them.

"Maybe or it was just a odd necklace she liked," Gwen comments slipping the key back into her pocket. A thousand thoughts plaguing her restless mind.

"What's wrong?"

Gwen gives in to the need to confide in someone. Without guarding her words or holding back.

"I came back to town positive that it take a month to get what I need and leave with father, mother, Henry and Elizabeth. It was all supposed to be so simple."

"What changed?"

"People I haven't seen in years and new ones are worming into my heart while I try to keep them out."

"Isn't good to have friends?"

Yes, friends can be the anchor or shelter to weather storms. Yet they can also be a distraction or the storm itself.

Gwen wasn't sure if Damon,Stefan,Trent,Elena and everyone were anchors or a distraction. Keeping her from being reckless. Or keeping her too calm. Allowing family to slip through her fingers, like water.

Does it really make a difference anymore? Maybe.

Her next thought slips from her lips, "They won't want to be my friends much longer, I crossed a line," Gwen's eyes stare out into the distance, "People get mad when you work with the enemy."

"Stop working with the enemy then."

Gwen smiles at Alexander and his naive way at looking at things, "Things get more complicated when you grow up. In other news I haven't given up on helping you, just have to think."

"You will figure it out I know it," Blind trust and faith fill his voice, "Maybe read some history books."

Too bad they don't make history books of magic. A blue book with black veins flashes in her mind. Excitement rushes into Gwen. But they do make ones with spells and curses.

She beams at Alexander, "That's it! You're a genius kid," Alexander giggles as Gwen leaps up, "See you around."

Alexander laugh still echoes in her ears. As she walks to her car. Sending a text to Trent to meet at the Grill. And to bring his shadow grimoire.