Elijah's plan

Her eyes flutter open to rays of light. Heart in pieces and numb. Covered by a thick comforter. That fails to warm the cold deep in her soul. Gwen stares at the ceiling. Only switching focus when the door opens. Stefan Salvatore enters. Warm eyes full of sympathy. He joins Gwen on the bed.

A question falling from his lips, "How are you doing?"

A huff escapes Gwen, "I don't even know anymore."

"What happened? What did they do to you?"

"The ghost of my ancestor Sam Jordan,the one who created the crystal. He showed me all the life it took and denied to give back. Person after person driven to weeping masses. Because it can't give them what they want, what I want, It can't restore life. "

Damon's voice warms Gwen's heart despite his doubtful tone, "Stupid ghost is probably lying."

"My magic forces a ghost to speak or show only truth. Trust me it's been tested again and again if they can lie. Not a fun experience from what I've heard and seen," Gwen switches her gaze back to Stefan. The sympathy shining in his, digs into her vulnerable heart, "It hurts so much more than the night they died. Is that even possible?"

"Maybe because you are accepting they are gone."

Gwen can't deny his words. With her hope gone. Nothing is left to block the pain of saying goodbye. Stefan pulls Gwen to him. Offering a comforting hug. Her chin testing on Stefan's shoulder. Yet it's Damon's eyes that offer comfort. Her gaze locking with his. Finding a fierce promise. A promise to pick her up. To rebuild what was broken. To not run away from her. A promise to help Gwen find a reason to keep living.

Stefan pulls away, "We are having a meeting with Elijah, if you want to join."

Damon halts her reply, "Yup going to team up with the enemy and hope he doesn't screw us over."

Stefan, "Klaus is his brother and I believe angry with Klaus."

Gwen interrupts their conversation. Part in hopes to defuse a potential fight, "I'll join."

Stefan leaves with a nod. Damon only lingers a moment longer before pushing off the door frame to follow. Gwen jumps up from the bed. Hand quickly grabbing Damon's in a loose grip.

"Thank you, for calming me down last night."

Damon shows a sign of being uncomfortable, "No problem, my shoulders always free if you need one to cry on."

With one simple joke, Damon eases the weight off Gwen's shoulders. Mending a few pieces of her heart. With a nod Gwen heads for the stairs. Walking side by side with Damon in comfortable silence. Until they reach them, Gwen heads down first. Damon only two steps behind her. Elena quickly wraps her arms around Gwen.

Releasing a sigh of relief, voice full of it, "I'm glad we found you."

"Me too," Gwen admits, the warmth and love surrounding her easing the pain.

"Stefan told me what happened and all of us are here if you ever need to talk," Elena pulls away fingers running through her hair. Knowing no amount of sorry can heal Gwen's pain.

Needing to think of other things, Gwen switches topics, " How is your aunt?"

"Okay, hidden in a guest room most of the time."

A cough interrupts them, drawing everyone's attention to Elijah. Who stands in front of the fire place, " Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse. He is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...He'll be a true hybrid."