Only you

Damon Salvatore sits on his bed. Staring at the black and white photo of Gwen Jordan. Held tightly in his hands. Her blonde hair held in a tight bun. Wearing a simple floral print dress. Eyes full of life. Waves of pain deep within his soul roll over Damon. Worse than when he believed Gwen had died. To be so close yet miles apart created a constant ache in his heart.

Flaring whenever they lock gazes for a moment. Her blue eyes filled with so much strength. Cracking away at times to pain. Almost pleading for someone to hold her close. Remove whatever weighs her down. It's almost impossible for Damon not to gather Gwen up. Hold her close until every scar is healed and her pain gone. Yet holding back because he wants to do right by her.

Hoping to rekindle their friendship and more. Damon can still feel Gwen's soft lips on his. Teasing whispers of what he feels, love. Driving away any foolish feelings he tried to invest in others.

I'm such an idiot.

Damon scolds himself while standing and walking to his dresser. Opening the top drawer and placing the portrait inside. Picking up a smaller brown pouch. Reaching two fingers inside, Damon pulls out a simple silver ring. Small diamonds surround a pearl. He can still remember excitement rushing through him when buying it. Already picturing the joy on Gwen's face when he gave it to her. A way to be sure Gwen wouldn't forget Damon.

While he was off fighting in a war. Yet as Damon stood in his uniform saying goodbye. He couldn't give it to her, instead wanting to save it. For when he got back and confessed his feelings. Wanting it to be a symbol of their love not just a piece of jewelry to remember him by. So Damon left with the ring in his pocket. Taking it whenever he had a moment and thinking of Gwen. Plans forming inside his head of places to travel, spending their life together.

Like a fool, I let my self doubt, worry about losing our friendship and Katherine pulled us apart.

Even after becoming a vampire, believing he would never see Gwen again. Damon still couldn't get rid of the ring. Always carrying it and her portrait with him. Sighing he returns it to the pouch, closing the drawer as Stefan walks in.

Damon turns his attention to Stefan asking "Can I help you, brother?"

"Yes, stop messing with Gwen's head."

"Is that what I'm doing?"

"Come on Damon you loved Katherine for one hundred forty-five years. Then started developing feelings for Elena. Not to mention compelling Andie and Caroline to be your girlfriends and drank from them."

Damon smirks "Oh so now I'm a womanizer."

Stefan's voice is full of annoyance "I'm serious Damon. Gwen isn't another girl to play around with until you get bored."

Katherine and the others were just distractions from what I really longed for.

Damon's joking attitude stops as he gets in his brother's face "I know better than you what Gwen is worth answers while everyone busy trying to save Elena. I'm the only one trying to help Gwen gets her family back. I'll be the one to find the crystal she needs."

"Hey Gwen is my friend too, but now is not the time to find her crystal and forgive me if I doubt your intentions towards her." Damon scoffs "We all will help Gwen after taking care of Klaus."

Stefan doesn't wait for Damon to reply. Instead, leaving him to his own thoughts.

Gwen has waited long enough for her happy ending. With that thought, Damon opens his closet where boxes of Isobel's research are. That Aleric kindly let Damon borrow. Taking a box Damon returns to his bed and begins his searching. Hoping to find anything relating to Necromancers or the name Karayan.