Pining!Keith

Keith had a crush on Lance since they attended the Garrison together.

Keith didn't know why, or when it started. He only knew that it happened, and he had it bad. Of course, he never admitted the second part to himself, and probably never would.

He was hurt when Lance had proclaimed him as a rival, other than a friend. All of a sudden, he just hated him and jeered at him whenever they saw each other. It really did hurt. A lot. That was probably where he got his bad taste in emo pining music.

He ranted to Shiro for hours about his crush on Lance. Shiro had to listen to it, not only since he was his foster brother, but because Keith would eat all the ice cream if he didn't.

When they became paladins of Voltron, he thought he couldn't get any more unlucky, especially since Lance flirted with every single attractive girl they came across. Then, they had The Bonding Moment™. Keith thought it was finally okay between them, since they held hands as they gazed into each other's eyes. Keith even cradled Lance in his arms. He felt so warm and domestic, and Keith enjoyed every single moment of it.

He was angry, yet heartbroken from the betrayal when Lance denied it the next day, even after he spent all night watching his pod. Keith cried himself to sleep that night.

"Keith? Are you okay, buddy?" Lance whispered as he stood next to the red paladin's bed.

Keith was already fast asleep, with his long, raven bangs blanketing his left eye and tear stains trailing down his cheeks. Lance looked down at the boy with a sympathetic look. He swept his bangs away from his face and cupped the boy's cheek, leaning down and kissing his forehead.

"I did remember," Lance whispered. "I'm sorry, Keith."

Keith opened his eyes once he felt the blue paladin's warm lips against his forehead. His vision was blurry with sleep before it cleared to present him with the sight of his crush leaning over his bed, feeling his hand holding and caressing his cheek. His cheeks flared with mortification.

"Umm, Lance...?" Keith asked, confused and embarrassed. "What are you doing?"

"Apologizing."

"Can't you do that when I'm awake?"

"Well, you talk and listen while you're awake."

"Hurts your pride too much, huh?" Keith asked, teasingly.

"Yes, immensely," Lance responded.

Keith laughed, bringing the blush to Lance's cheeks as the blue paladin awkwardly pulled his hand away from Keith's face with a nervous chuckle.

"So, are you going to finish?"

"I already did?"

"The kiss to my forehead?"

"Umm, you felt that?"

"Yes."

"So, umm, do you forgive me?" Lance asked nervously.

"I dunno," Keith teased. "Maybe if you give me an actual kiss, I might."

Lance dove down and pressed his lips to Keith's, which were warmer and softer than they looked.

"How was that?"

"All is forgiven."

"So, umm, I gotta go get some sleep," Lance said.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, do get some sleep, you'll probably need it."

"Uh, yeah."

With that Lance left the room, leaving Keith alone with his thoughts.

Guess who got to hear the constant ranting about how Lance kissed him the following three days.