Nightmare

A/N Hi! I think you guys would like some fluff, right? This is in Lance's POV. love you guys sm!

I was running, though I had no idea where to or what from. The malicious wind hit my skin as if it were trying to paralyze me with the coldness of the night air. It was louder and stronger now, making it more difficult to run. Although it was dark wherever I was, I could tell I was in a dead forest. The dark, nefarious trees were bare, denuded from their leaves and life. The foliage that had once covered the ground in a colorful blanket were now everywhere, following the wind and opposing my motion.

My lungs felt like they were about to explode; I had not realized the aching pains in my muscles until now. Despite the searing pain that suddenly found sanctuary in my joints, I continued on, my knees threatening to buckle and my legs about to collapse.

The wind blew me back one more time, penetrating my skin as if it were an icy spear. My legs decided they could not take anymore and could no longer support my weight. I fell to the cold ground, hearing the dead vegetation beneath me crack and shatter. Leaves and grass weren't supposed to make that sound.

I let out a relieved sigh as Keith was with me now, holding onto me for dear life. I buried my face into his hair and exhaled a deep, thankful breath.

He seemed as if he were crying, but I couldn't hear him to tell if he was, since the howling wind had become obnoxiously loud. We would have to shout to each other, despite that we were near each other. He held me, the heat his body emitted warming me as if he had just wrapped a large blanket around me. I hoped I was doing the same for him.

I grabbed his hand and he pulled me to my feet; he wanted to continue running from whatever we were running from. His face looked scared. The strong sense of foreboding was gnawing at my stomach and I could not send it away. Nonetheless, even with the aches and pains in my body, we ran even faster than we had done before. My stamina had failed me several times, and I hoped that it wasn't the case this time.

Our path had reached an end as we skidded to a stop at a sudden cliff. My curiosity got the better of me as I peered over the edge, aghast with what I saw.

Below, there was a deep drop-off, leading into a pit of cataclysmic waves and sharp, jagged rocks that the foamy water beat against mercilessly. I was suddenly thankful the wind wasn't blowing the opposite direction, or that would be Keith's and my demise.

The biting wind stung my cheeks and I felt warm tears prick my eyes. Ashamed, I didn't face Keith, but, instead, looked behind me.

Moving at a quick pace, there was a black cloud of fog. No, it wasn't fog. They were shadows. The shadows seemed to have wanted to do away with the two of us. I looked back over at Keith, but I didn't move. I couldn't move. It seemed as if the frosty wind or the sinister shadows had immobilized me. I tried my hardest, but nothing would move.

I shouted at myself to move, then at Keith, who was in the same frozen state I was in.

"Move!" I shouted at my body, but it did not obey. It was as if my feet were frozen to the ground.

I watched the shadows advance on us, closer and closer with every second. I felt tears blur my vision. I knew we were both going to die, and all I could do was watch. I could do nothing about it. Only watch and witness. I wanted to close my eyes, but those wouldn't move, either.

The shadows approached with more force, the ground beneath it beginning to crack and crumble beneath it. Then, it was gone. The ground had disappeared behind it as if the shadows had swallowed it whole.

"And we're next," I thought grimly.

As the shadows neared, I braced for impact. The shadows burned my skin as they passed over me, as if my entire body was being punctured by searing, white-hot needles. I cried out in pain, and I heard Keith screaming in agony as well. All I could do was listen. I could no longer see anything.

Suddenly the pain stopped. I opened my eyes (it seemed as if I could move those now) and looked around me. All that was of my surroundings was blank darkness; the ground was gone except for a tiny, isolated island of rock and grass that protruded from the seemingly-empty earth. I looked down around the ground—or what was left of it—but I saw nothing but empty blackness. There was absolutely nothing there. The cliff and the waves clashing against the sharp rocks was gone, too. Everything just disappeared but us and the patch of land.

Then, the wind picked up again, stronger than it had been before. My feet were seemingly anchored to the grass as I watched Keith fall backwards into the abyss of nothingness. I could do nothing but watch him descend into the darkness with an outreached hand that I was supposed to grab onto, its purpose unfulfilled. I could do nothing. All I could do was watch him fall deeper and listen to him screaming my name.

I awoke with a jolt, sitting up reflexively in my bed. I felt sweat dripping down my forehead and I moved my arm to wipe it away. I could move. Wait, Keith!

I looked beside me to see him in a deep sleep, completely unharmed and safe. I felt tears of relief rush down my cheeks as I fell back down on the bed, quickly wrapping my arm around Keith and holding him close, my tears wetting his silky, black hair.

Keith awoke by my sudden movements and the sound of my sobs.

"Lance?" Keith asked, his voice deep and hoarse from sleep, but I could tell he was concerned. "Are you okay? Why are you crying?"

I didn't answer right away. Instead, I pulled away from his hair and pressed a lingering kiss to his lips, my nightmare still haunting my thoughts.

"Did you have a nightmare, Lance?"

I nodded.

"What was it about?" Keith questioned me as he sat up in bed, reaching to the side table. He felt for the chain that hung from the lamp before finding it and pulling on it. Bright, blinding light suddenly filled the room.

Once his arm returned to the bed, he scooted closer to me, holding me in his arms. His soft touches, his warmth, and his scent calmed me down a little.

"I was running from something; I didn't know what at first," I began. "The wind was cold and it hurt a lot. I fell down, then you helped me up. You looked really scared."

Keith nodded at me to continue.

"Then, we kept running. We stopped at a cliff, and I looked back at what was chasing us. It was, like— It was like this huge cloud of shadows, and as it was chasing us, the ground disappeared beneath it, and then we couldn't move. I couldn't do anything but watch it come closer. Then, it finally hit us, and I heard you scream. It was like we were being scorched alive in the shadows."

Keith nodded, holding me closer and waited for me to finish my story.

"Then, the ground disappeared except where we stood," I continued. "It looked like the whole world had been devoured. We were on this single platform of land. The wind picked up and blew you off of it, and I couldn't move. I couldn't help you. I could only just watch you fall into the nothingness."

"It's alright, Lance," Keith murmured in my ear as I tried to calm myself down. "I'm right here. It's only a nightmare. It's not real."

"I know, but..." I sighed. "...It felt so real."

"I know, baby," Keith said, kissing my cheek. "But you're okay. I'm okay. Nothing actually happened. We're completely safe here."

I smiled and kissed his soft lips. He immediately kissed back. Then, he pulled away. I made a sound of confusion before he grabbed my hand and stood up, pulling me up with him. We were standing on our bed, the disturbed sheets and blankets beneath our bare feet as he put one hand on my waist and began to sway. I smiled slightly, knowing what Keith was doing.

I placed my hand upon his shoulder, tightening my grip on his hand. He smiled at me gently and we danced on the bed. It was all fun and games from then on. We ended up jumping on the bed, our heads not nearly reaching the ceiling, but I still felt like I was jumping high.

That was how we ended up getting yelled at by a groggy and sleep-deprived Allura about roughing up the furniture, and that was how we ended up exchanging horrible impressions of her for the rest of the night.