Chapter 10: (With Bonus chapter!)

I was still awake the next morning. I had my knees curled up, my arms wrapped tightly around them.

I stared blankly at my lilac bed spread. My nightmare had really frightened me. Max’s painful words echoed in my head.

I’ll always haunt your mind.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and tried to think of something else, but Max’s face and words were like fire, burning endlessly and excruciatingly in my head.

“Violet?” Seth’s voice said, silencing the fire.

I opened my eyes. Seth was kneeling beside the bed; his hand crept forward and took both of mine.

“Do you want to talk about it?” he asked gently.

I bit my lip in doubt. I didn’t feel like talking about it, and even if I did, Seth would get even tenser about my safety and my mental welfare.

“No. I’m just being a baby. Its okay” I replied.

Seth didn’t look convinced, so I quickly got off the bed, and went straight to the bathroom.

Seth followed me, but I shut the bathroom door on him.

I went to the sink, and splashed my face with water, trying to put out the blazing fire in my head that engraved Max’s face and words in my mind.

The rest of the day was edgy. I could feel Seth’s eyes, probing me. My fake smiles and attitude must have been really pathetic, because I was nervous when we were alone, and it was too quiet.

We were sitting on the couch at his house watching T.V. Sue was in the kitchen and Leah had gone off to college.

Leah went to college four times a week, did yoga and still kept to the pack for her mental wellbeing. I envied her ordinariness. Her life seemed balanced, mine was thrown into turmoil.

Seth had his arm around me. He had just come back from running patrol, and I could tell he was tired; but he tried his best to keep it at bay.

“Violet…” he said uneasily.

I knew what was coming, and I shifted my weight away from Seth, and leant on the arm of the chair instead.

“Yes?” I replied. I tried to keep my tone even, but my voice came out cracked. I cleared my throat.

“Is everything okay with you? You’ve been acting a little weird” he said.

“Everything’s fine. I’m fine” I replied shrugging.

Seth raised his eyebrows and looked at me meaningfully. “Violet, you are the most beautiful person in the world, but you are also the worst liar in the world.”

I folded my arms across my chest tight. “What do you want me to say?” I huffed.

“The truth” he replied smoothly.

“I can’t tell you the truth” I muttered under my breath.

“Why not?” Seth said alarmed. He sat up, his body in defensive mode.         

“That’s why” I said gesturing to his reposition.

He looked down at himself. “You lost me” he said confused.

I sighed. “The truth could change your opinion of…Max. Or make it worse.”

He snorted. “That’s likely” he said in distaste.

I turned my attention away from him, and stared out the open window beside me.

“You’re scared, aren’t you?” Seth asked gently.