Chapter 15

~

Includes a cameo of a character from earlier in the book!

~

Violet's POV

I sighed and looked at Seth. He had his head resting lightly on his hands, his concentration hard on the dull white blanket. I grabbed his hand, smoothing out his tight fist.

“I’m sorry I forgot Seth,” I whispered tracing the lines on his palm.

His hand was over mine as he held my hands tightly.

“It’s not your fault” he replied.

That one sentence reminded me of the last time he had said those words.

“You’re not going to make me repeat it, are you?” I joked lightly with a smile.

It worked as he smiled too.

We both fell silent, his thumb absentmindedly stroking my hand. This gentle touch reminded me of all the memories we had together, and I smiled as I reminisced.

Every single moment with Seth came flooding back. To think I had ever forgotten him!

Thinking about the past made the realisation of almost losing it all seem scary.

We hardly talked after that, but the little things Seth did, spoke louder than words. I could tell that he was distressed. He wasn’t very good at hiding it.

He seemed absent, and I worried he was still blaming himself for my being in hospital. He still didn’t seem to be paying attention to me as I got out of bed. I shrugged on my robe and sat beside him on the couch.

I didn’t want to lie in bed anymore like I had done for the past few days. I sat facing him, my legs folded. I rested my elbows on my legs, my head resting on my hands as I stared at him. He stared at the ground, facing forward.

I waited. I don’t know how long I stared at him for, until he finally responded.

He sighed as he turned to face me. His eyes were tired, hurt.

“You look tired” I said aloud.

He lay back on the couch, his eyes to the ceiling.

“How can you be so…cool with all of this?” he asked, his eyes staring hard at the ceiling.

I looked at him for a second, before responding.

“I don’t know…I guess I know I have people who care about me around me,” I replied,

His eyes narrowed in happiness as he stared at the ceiling.

“I wish I was strong like you,” he spoke once. He sounded a little timid.

I laughed, the sound of my laughter making him look at me.

“You’re so funny, Seth” I replied between fits of laughter.

“I’m not joking Violet, you are way stronger than I am,” he said. He sounded serious, so I stopped laughing and listened to what he had to say.

“I mean, you’ve had such a crazy life, crazier than anything I have ever heard of. Your father was a drunken maniac who tried to kill you and you were on the verge of death, and you somehow manage to find the bright side” he explained. “I mean, any normal person would have to be put in a mental hospital after all that, and yet here, you are, laughing and joking like it was any other normal day.”