Chapter 20

~

PART 1:

Another year passed, and things seemed to be the same. Gabriel grew everyday, learning and discovering the world around him. Seth and I fell more in love each day, and he would never make me forget.

Though these past few days, he seemed a little distant. I would walk into the room, and he would scurry away like a disturbed mouse.

He spent a lot of time with Leah as well, and Sue. All three seemed to leave at around noon and return just after seven o’clock at night.

I began to worry. What was happening? Were they planning some kind of escape plan? I mean, I couldn’t blame them for my bringing so many burdens in the past.

I was feeling very indecisive. There was definitely change coming, I could feel it.

After putting Gabriel to bed, alone without Seth, I sauntered around the dark house. It was very late and Seth wasn’t home. I glanced at the clock, the minute hand ticking loudly, a few minutes til twelve.

I bit my lip, and walked into the kitchen. He would be here soon, I had to stay calm and not worry. I opened the fridge and grabbed the first thing I saw; a packet of gummy bears.

I absentmindedly glanced out the window, and saw a few figures standing just at the fringe of the trees to the forest. I peered through the curtain, seeing members of the wolf pack in the dim moonlight.

They were all standing in a tight circle, Seth at the head. Something glittered in the moonlight; it looked like a shiny star as it shimmered in the moon’s rays.

I put down the packet of gummy bears, and slipped out the back door. It was a cold night, a cool breeze sweeping through the dark.

As I approached them, Paul looked up and whispered something, making everyone look alert. Seth’s arms flicked in a swift movement as the shiny star disappeared. He turned to face me. 

“Hey guys,” I said as I slowly approached them.

They all looked at me with jumpy expressions.

“What are ya’ll doing out here?” I asked.

They all glanced at each other, exchanging looks; the awkward tension in the air.

“Ah…we were just…um,” Quil began. He elbowed Jared.

“Oh, um…” Jared stammered, “We were here because…”

“Because…” Embry jumped in, “Because we just wanted to…”

“Say…goodnight!” Seth intervened.

“Yeah,” they all agreed with relieved expressions.

“So, ah…night then,” Paul said as he walked away into the forest. They all said “Goodnight” and followed after Paul.

“Ah...see you later guys,” Seth said nervously.

They all waved back, Quil giving Seth a wink and Embry giving Seth the thumbs up. Jared rolled his eyes and dragged them both into the trees.

I stood there laughing at our fellow friends.    

Seth turned to me. “Ah, sorry I’m so late.”

“It’s okay, I wasn’t worried,” I lied. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him, “You’re home now at least.”

He hugged me back, and I could feel his warmth against my cold skin.