Chapter 7

My clothes were sodden, and I was shivering as I climbed into the shower. The hot blast of water was both aching and pleasant.

After getting dressed, I lay at the foot of my bed on the floor and cried myself to sleep. I held Seth’s necklace firmly in my hand, as it hung around my neck. The rain pounded outside my window sill, a heartbreaking memento of what had happened. The next morning I was still lying on the floor, wrapped up in my blanket.

My eyes were sore and red from crying. Downstairs I could hear the clink of glass, and I knew what Max was doing already.

I didn’t bother getting up, and stayed in my position until the sun had moved in the middle of the sky.

I kept my eyes closed, wishing that what happened last night never happened. The sound of heavy footsteps up the steps was like a knife wound.

My door banged against the wall as Max entered. “Hey” his voice was toneless, and so was his greeting.

I didn’t answer; just squeezed my eyes closed even more.

“Get up” he said in a dead tone. I could smell the alcohol from his breath, and tried to imagine it were daisies.

Three sudden footsteps and I was jerked off the floor. Max held my head up between his hands, so I couldn’t look away. “Look at me” he whispered menacingly.

His breath wafted in my face, it was such a strong smell. I had enough of him.

I pushed him away from me. “Get away from me” I replied.

He was taken aback by the rejection. His face dropped, before he slumped out of my room. I shut the door behind him, and stuck a chair underneath the doorknob so he couldn’t bother me anymore.

I went to my dresser, and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked horrible.

My face was tear stained, my eyes tired, and my hair was haystack.

I closed my eyes and took a few breaths out. I had to calm myself down, so as not to breakdown into tears.

Something caught my attention; it was a familiar white envelope. It sat on my dressing table; Seth’s note lay on top.

I took it and reread it. Will you please accompany me to Sam and Emily’s wedding?

I could just imagine him writing this, and that made me feel remorse. His simple words cut deep.

Would I still go? My own words echoed in my head, I will be there, no matter what.

No matter what. Those words were said everyday by everyone, and now I really understood the meaning.

No matter what, I had promised Seth I was attending the wedding; no matter what.

The wedding was on Sunday 18th of October. That was tomorrow.

The sound of clinking glass downstairs.

I didn’t care what Max thought, I didn’t care what he was doing anymore, and I was sick and tired of him and his alcohol.

He treated me wrong, and I always tried to get in his good books. Now I realise, I can never get in his good books. I will forever remain in no book at all, not at all part of his story.

I was going to that wedding with Seth, and I was going to look for something to wear, today.

I looked at the clock. It was two o’clock in the afternoon.

I grabbed my jacket and threw on a pair of sneakers. I went downstairs, ignoring Max in the kitchen, and jumped into my car.

I drove down the road, the map sitting on the steering wheel. I was trying to find my way to Port Angeles.