Chapter 14: (Seth's POV)

Chapter 14: Seven (Seth’s POV)

Violet didn’t wake up. The first day, I was quiet, composed as I watched her. Her eyes were closed, like she was asleep.

I wondered idly what she was dreaming about. Her eyelids moved slightly, to REM sleep. She seemed like she was having a nightmare by the way her eyelids flickered.

I hoped she wasn’t. I was already being tortured by her absence.

The second day passed, and I was still sitting in the same spot, watching the same girl.

It was hard to believe that just a few days ago, she was up and smiling. I missed her smile and her laugh. I wished hard that she would just wake up.

Carlisle had returned Violet’s necklace back to me, it was clear of all blood. I couldn’t help but wonder idly how Carlisle got rid of the blood, but I couldn’t laugh as I put the necklace on the small table beside Violet’s bed.

I couldn’t look at it right now.

Two more days passed, and I could feel the torture and loneliness seek in.

The news got around about Violet as Sue turned on the television.

My eyes flickered to the screen as the reporter spoke.

Maximus Brown, owner of the very popular franchise, Browns’ Diner is reportedly wanted for attempted murder. Witnesses at the scene saw Mr. Brown strike a pedestrian purposely with his car, the pedestrian turning out to be his daughter, Violet Rose Brown. Violet is now facing head injuries with a possibility of amnesia or a coma. Police raided his house on the night, finding no sign of Mr. Brown. Mr. Brown has been reported as a raging alcoholic. They had just recently found his car, which he used to strike Violet abandoned on the freeway. Mr. Brown has not been caught yet, though there is a nationwide search going on in all states…”

My eyes flickered back to Violet. I didn’t want to know about Max.   

Leah visited, and I listened to her apologise, but barely answered. She finally gave up on the sixth day. Sometimes my pack visited too. Sam let me off patrols.

I was so glad I had great friends to back me up, because I was starting to crumble. I remembered the last time I was here.

My father laying in a bed exactly the same as the one Violet was lying on. I just hoped this visit wouldn’t end in loss.

It was a Friday; exactly a week after the accident.

I was still sitting in the same chair I had been a week ago, staring at Violet, hoping for her to wake up from her sleep.

As I concentrated on her, I could hear Sue and Carlisle talking quietly outside in the corridor.

“I’m very worried about him, he hasn’t eaten or talked or slept in a week” my mother whispered with concern.

I guess I was freaking her out. I hadn’t done anything but sit and wait.

“Don’t worry about him Sue. He will be alright. He’s strong” Carlisle reassured.

“Are you sure about that?” she asked unconvinced.

He gave a small chuckle. “I’m a doctor, aren’t I?”

I guess he didn’t convince her, because Sue came into the room. I didn’t turn to face her.

“Seth? Why don’t you come and have something to eat?” she asked, trying to keep her tone light.