Chapter Fifteen

Holland's POV

"You're cheating, there's no way you could've beaten me five games in a row!" Kyler complained, as I beat him yet again in another round of pool.

"I think you just suck." I shrugged, blowing fake dust off my pool stick.

Kyler rolled his eyes as we left the game room, walking back to the living room.

We heard the door from the garage to inside the house open and heavy footsteps.

Kyler immediately stood, pulling his gun from behind him, rushing infront of me. As he was getting ready to go check it out, we heard Carter's voice.

"Get him downstairs to the infirmary now!" 

I frantically walked to see what was happening. Carter had blood all over him and Parker and JD had Cole in their arms, rushing him to get help.

"What happened?" I yelled, my hand shooting to my mouth as I quickly examined Cole.

One of our gangs doctor followed JD and Parker in the elevator as Miles came inside, on the phone with who I'm assuming is some of our gang.

"They tried to take us down, dirty." Carter spat, examining the deep slice of his bicep.

"We were getting ready to give them their fucking drugs when one of their men shot one of ours. We immediately fought back and Cole, Cole didn't have a clear head, that's why I didn't want him to come. He stabbed a guy while not paying attention to his surroundings. Someone shot him in his chest from behind him."

My heart thumped in my chest as the thought of Cole dying ran across my mind.

"Let me go with him!" I yelled, fighting past Carter's strong arms holding me back.

"He's in the best hands Holland." Carter argued, holding me until the elevator doors closed, Cole disappearing from my sight.

I let him leave me to go shower and change his bloody clothes.

Kyler placed his hand on my shoulder, sensing my frozen stature.

"C'mon Holl, I'll make you some coffee." Kyler offered, guiding me into the kitchen.

I sat down on one of the barstools, rubbing my temples as Kyler tried to figure out how to work the expresso machine.

It was my fault Cole was in this situation.

It was my fault he wasn't thinking clearly during the drop.

It was my fault he could potentially end up in a coma or die.

"It's not your fault." Miles spoke sternly, sitting down next to me.

Either I'm an open book, or out of these months that I've been here, these boys have gotten to know me very well.

"He'll be fine Holland. The bullet went straight through his right side, not his heart."

It missed his heart.

Thank god it missed his heart.

"Thanks Miles."

He turned in his seat, his eyebrows raised. "For what?"

I gave him a small smile. "For always making me feel better. Thanks for caring."

Miles gave me a small, yet meaningful smile, as he embraced me.

"That's my job, you don't have to thank me for it." He added.

"Now let's stop this display of affection before I start thinking Cole turned you into a softie." Miles teased and I punched his arm.