Chapter Seventeen

Holland's POV

"Just go talk to her."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Why?" I groaned loudly, causing Kyler to roll his eyes.

"Because Holland, I don't like Lynn."

I narrowed my eyes at him as he continued watching the news, something he does a lot.

"Are you sure?"

Kyler simply nodded, his eyes leaving the television.

"Then I'm sure you don't mind that guy practically charming her pants off out there, do you?" I challenged, nodding towards the back door where a gang member and Lynn sat out back.

Kyler stiffened, a scowl resting upon his face as he quickly threw the remote off of him, stalking towards the back door.

I smirked, crossing my arms in victory.

"You can never leave things alone, can you?" Carter mused, coming down the stairs.

"Please, they both need my help." I gloated, taking Kyler's seat on the couch.

"Since when did you become a love guru?" Cole questioned, his left eyebrow quirked as he appeared next to Carter.

"Since I got you wrapped around my finger." I winked causing him to scoff.

"I am not wrapped around your finger."

My bottom lip puffed out, as a pout found its way on my face. "I thought you loved me?"

Cole's features softened, as he made his way over to the couch, placing a kiss on my cheek.

"You know I do."

Our little moment was interrupted by Carter clearing his throat. "Gross."

I rolled my eyes at him, turning my attention to the tv which was still playing the news.

"Are we still going through with tonight?" JD questioned, walking into the living room.

Cole sent him a glare and Carter made a discreet gesture towards me, causing JD's eyes to widen.

Of course I still saw it.

"Oops."

Cole shook his head, avoiding my questioning glare.

"Going through with what?" I asked, eyes narrowing at the three of them.

"Don't get mad when I te-"

"Just fucking tell me Carter."

Carter sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "A gang owes us money, we're meeting down at the port tonight to get it."

"Cool, you guys can have fun with that while Cole stays here." I stated, turning around to the tv again.

"You know I can't do that, love." Cole sighed.

"You know you're still injured, love." I mocked.

"Don't make this complicated Holland."

I stood up, walking around the couch to stand in front of them.

"Me? You do realize it's only been three weeks since you were shot? Are you really about to go back in so soon and risk it again?"

"Yes I am. I only got shot because I wasn't thinking clearly. The reason for that was because I was arguing with you right before. Now unless you want the same thing to happen again, I suggest you drop it." Cole snapped.

JD's eyes widened as they danced around the room, pretending he wasn't there. Carter shook his head, smacking JD on the back of his head as he walked away.

"Fine." I scoffed, turning around and walking up the stairs, slamming the bedroom door closed.

I understood the line of work Cole was in was dangerous, it always had been, always will be. Despite what knowledge he seemed to lack, he actually had something to lose whether he believed so or not. His life.

Kicking the moccasins off my feet, I fell onto the bed, pulling my ringing phone out of my pocket.

"Hello?"

"Kid, glad to know you're still alive."

"Hi Jer." I smiled, although I knew he couldn't see me.

"I heard around the rumor mill you have a little boy toy."

I rolled my eyes, "He's not a boy toy."

"No, but he is bad news. I don't know if I trust him with you."

"It's a little too late for that Jer." I snorted, walking into the bathroom.

"Yeah well I won't hesitate to break his face if he hurts you." Jeremy stated, completely oblivious that I've been hurt before, many times.

Carter must've never told him about my injuries, kidnapping, and my fights with Cole. Though it was probably better that way, knowing my brother and his temper mixed with Cole and his would not equal a pretty situation.

"I miss you." I blurted, sighing at my sudden burst of emotion.

"I miss you too Holl. But the purpose for my call was to inform you that Mom's having your birthday dinner at the Briggs household."  Jeremy replied, I could tell he wasn't looking forward to it.

"You really don't have to go if you don't want to Jer, you won't be missing much." I assured.

"Hell no. There's no way I'd miss your eighteenth birthday." Jeremy shot down. "I'm just not particularly excited for the old hags pinching my fucking face."

"Yeah I know." I chuckled.

"Listen, I have to go. Stay safe kid." And with that, he hung up.

I tossed my phone on the bed as I walked out of the room, finding someone to take my mind off of tonight.

"Holland." Cole groaned as I walked past him.

Ignored his calls and kept walking, until his large arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me to a stop.

"What Cole? What do you want?" I snapped, looking up at his tall figure with anger in my eyes.

His gray eyes locked me in a trance like they always do, allowing me get lost in them. His black hair was tousled and laid on his forehead carelessly, magnifying his already godly looks.

"You can't be mad Holland, this is what I do." Cole sighed, attempting to cup my face, but I pulled away.

"I can't be mad? You expect me to be okay with you going out there so soon and risking your life all over again? Your life might not mean shit to you Cole, but it means everything to me."

Cole stayed silent, his features hardened from their once relaxed position as he shifted so he was starting to face away from me.

"I.. I don't know what to say to you Holland. This is what I do, it's all I know."

I scoffed, balling my fists in anger. "Do you not care about how this affects me? It's sickening to sit in that damned living room for hours while you're out doing God knows what and me not knowing if you're going to make it back to me or not. But clearly you don't care, and I'm starting to think I shouldn't either." I yelled, turning around and walking away from him.

*