BFF's! Or...they used to be

6 years ago.

"Ophi where are youuu?" Silver giggled as he turned the corner. He heard a small laugh in response and smirked himself. Silver approached a small broom closet and quickly opened the door. "BOO!" Silver grabbed his shoulders and shook him.

Ophichus screamed in terror but then started laughing when he realized it was Silver. "You found me Sil!" Ophichus had a gap in his teeth from loosing a tooth, but he still had the most adorable smile. Ophichus rarely laughed, let alone smiled and it always made Silver feel warm inside when he was the one to do it.

"Don't call me Sil! That's a girl name!" Silver puffed his cheeks and pouted. "So? Ophi can be a girl name too but I let you call me that." Ophichus huffed. He was remarkably smart for his age, he was already taking fencing and fighting lessons.

"Ophichus time for your lessons dear!" His mother called. "Aw come on please ma, can I not do it today, I wanna play with Sil!" Ophichus whined. Silver let the nickname slide and he smiled sweetly at his mother. "Sorry dear, I want you to be trained just in case the dreadful humans attack you." She said.

"Aw...alright..." Ophichus turned to Silver. "We can play after ok?" Ophichus grinned again but then went back to his stone cold look, he got that from his dad. Silver took a hard gulp but smiled back and waved as he walked away.

Silver went back to his pod and was greeted by his sister. Both of her gold eyes glowed with pride and happiness as she opened the door for him. Silver had no idea who he got his eye color from, his mother's was gold and his father's was a deep red, but he contradicted them both and got his own icy blue eyes.

"Mama, does sis have to hide today?" Silver asked innocently

"Mama, does sis have to hide today?" Silver asked innocently. Rose's eyes darkened with sadness. "No darling, she doesn't have to hide anymore, the commander has agreed to let the mistake slide if we allow both of you to work for him...." His mother sniffled.

The father came from behind and squeezed her shoulders to support her. "Work for him?" Silver tilted his head. "Silver...we have to be his slaves..." His sister blurted out. "S-slaves?" His voice trembled. Silver shouldn't know what slaves were but they were forced to learn about it in school at an early age.

"When?" He clenched his fists. "Now." A deep voice creeped up behind him. Silver let out a small yelp as the commander grabbed the collar of his shirt and hoisted him up so they were face to face. "No please don't hurt my baby." His mother pleaded. "Shut it, witch." He hissed at her.

"I guess these two should do." He grinned, his sharpened teeth poking out. "What are you going to do to them?" His father demanded. "That is whatever I want them to do." The commander simply said. "You two dogs start tomorrow." He laughed. Dogs? What did that word mean? Silver had never heard it.

The commander was learning English at a break neck speed, he even knew sign language. Silver gasped, remembering he had to meet Ophichus. "Mama I gotta go." He exclaimed and left the pod. Silver lightly jogged to the training room and saw Ophichus masterfully swinging his sword at the dummy.

"Ophi?" Silver called. Ophichus turned around and dropped his sword and ran to hug silver. "Yay you came!" He cheered. "Of course I did, you're my best friend after all." Silver tried faking his smile. "Why are you sad?" Ophichus immediately caught him.

"The commander want me and my sister to be his slaves..." Silver said it all. "You can't be his slave!" Ophichus objected. "Let's run away, tomorrow morning, we landed already anyway, we can live with the humans!" Ophichus worried. "Humans? We don't belong with the humans, they hate us for even coming here." Silver said sadly.

"We don't look any different from them, all we have to do is change our behavior!" Ophichus said. "Ophi, do you remember how I told why you I hate shifting?" Silver sighed. "Yes, you tried it once and now you're stuck with this face and you don't remember what you actually look like blah blah blah." Ophichus repeated.

"I don't ever want to shift again." Silver said sternly. "Listen, we can run away, you won't have to listen to that dumb commander!" Ophichus shooed his hand. "Who is dumb here?" An irritated voice echoed. Ophichus turned around with shock. 

"C-commander..." Ophichus gulped. "Are you trying to take away my dog?" He squinted. "You can't treat a Zorfinean like this!" Ophichus glared. The commander put his face close to his. "Watch me." He said with a taunting tone. "Oh and, I caught you meeting that human girl, I killed her, and now you're gonna die." He sighed nonchalantly.

Ophichus almost choked on air. He grabbed Silver by the collar and dragged him out of the room, while he was kicking and screaming. "Scratch that, you start today slave." The commander hissed.  Ophichus secretly followed them until he was blocked by a big metal door. He put one ear to listen in.

"I want that irritating boy terminated tomorrow, understood?" He said strictly. "Yes sir." A soldier replied. The commander had Silver in cold metal chains. "Can't have my property getting lost can I?" He raised a dagger that was glowing red.

Silver whimpered hopelessly at it. He looked to the side and saw his sister hanging from her chains, knocked out. "She was a good girl, now it's your turn." He put the tip of his dagger at the bottom of his eye and carved out a unique pattern.

Ophichus gasped at the ear piercing screams erupting from the other side of that door. Ophichus was too frightened, he ran all the way to his pod and cried in his mother's arms.

The next day.

"Get them all!" The soldier grabbed Ophichus's family including him.

Silver's tears stung his new scar that was etched permanently on his skin. The commander gripped his chin and made him look up at him, his weak face made him smile. "Your mark and one eye will glow red, if you lie, and if you feel panicked or scared, I can also track you with it so don't bother running.

"Your sister's will glow red when I am close to her." He made sure Silver took in every detail. "One simple rule, betray me and you die, understand?" He squinted into the boy's broken blue eyes. "UNDERSTOOD?!" The commander yelled in his face after he didn't hear an answer from Silver.

He couldn't manage to talk so he gave a simple short nod. "Good, now, I'm gonna go kill your friend." He smirked and left Silver hanging in shackles.