Chapter 16

"Dan!" Louise screeched once she saw me. By the time I lifted my head to look at her she already had her arms wrapped around me and lifted me off the ground.

"Whoa! Calm down!" I laughed as she put me down. I was quite astonished that she was able to pick me up since I'm fucking huge. She hugged me again and then slapped me across the face. My jaw dropped and I looked at her with wide eye.

"Um, ow! What was hat for?" I said in a high pitched tone.

"Why didn't you tell me what happened? I was worried sick about you!" She scolded like the mum I wish I had.

"I'm sorry, I've just been busy."

"With what? What happened? I want to know everything!" We started walking along the pavement with no particular place to go in mind. I told her everything that happened after the guards took me. I hadn't seen her since that happened, I was busy learning about the whole guardian angel thing and forgot to tell her I was okay.

"So Phil's been tutoring you I suppose?" She questioned. I averted my eyes and ducked my head slightly towards the ground.

"Yeah, I mean, he was."

"Was? What happened?" She stopped in her tracks since she could see the change of emotion on my face.

"It's-um, it's complicated. We got into a little argument." I tried to sound casual, like it was no big deal when really it was tearing me apart. She crossed her arms and gave me that look she gives me when she knows I'm full of bullshit. I ended up coming clean to her about everything, this time I managed to keep my tears in my eyes.

"Why don't you go talk to him then?"

"No." I replied instantly, she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "I just, I can't. He probably hates me, I do." I mumbled the last part so she couldn't hear me.

"He doesn't hate you, Dan, he's just upset is all." Her eyes softened as she stroked my bicep soothingly but I remained stiff.

"Really? Then why hasn't he made the effort to talk to me yet? He hates me Louise, I know he does." My voice broke as I said this and I tried to cover it up with a cough. I know Louise noticed this but she didn't acknowledge it.

"Well, you haven't made the effort either and you don't hate him." I shook my head in response, not knowing what to say.

"Whatever, I need to check on Chris." I changed the subject and walked away before she could say anything else. I couldn't bare talking about him, it hurts to much. For now I just need to focus on what I'm supposed to be doing, watching after Chris. I walked aimlessly for five minutes until I stumbled across an empty field. I sat against a tree and closed my eyes. I've become pretty good at controlling this mind thing, it only took me a couple seconds to be mentally put back on Earth.

"No!"

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked towards my left. Chris was bolting up the stairs with his dog, Kitty, in hand. I went down the stairs to see what he was running from. His dad was having a fit about something and he didn't look sober.

Shit.

MY heartbeat picked up and my breathing became unsteady. I've never done this before, this hasn't happened yet. What do I do? I zoomed back up into his room only seconds before his dad marched in with a thud. His father spoke but his words were muffled, like he was talking through a door. I tried to make out the syllables but it was no use. All of the sudden the back of his hand met with Chris's right cheek, hard. The slapping sound rang through my ears and made me wince. The sound was all too familiar. The father went to swing again, Chris tried to duck but he wasn't fast enough. No, no, no. What do I do?

"Dan!" I snapped my eyes open, Louise was kneeling next to me with concern filling her eyes and with good reason. I was trembling badly and my breathing was unsteady, I knew I was about to have a panic attack. "What's going on?" I shook my head and stood up. She tried to tell me I should stay sitting but I didn't listen. I closed my eyes and tried to focus.

"Me in terram."

When I opened my eyes Louise was no longer there, nor was the tree I was leaning on. I was standing on a road on Earth. Why the fuck am I on a road? I looked up at the street sign, I was on Chris's street. I started bolting down the road towards his house. Let me tell you, I've never run so fast in my life. I may be immortal but I still cannot run yet I got there in a matter of seconds. I ran straight through the door, stopping on the other side in a bit of shock since I forgot I could do that. I shook my head and snapped back into it. I could hear Chris upstairs and they weren't good sounds.

I ran straight into his room and stopped dead in my tracks. His dad gripped the collar of his shirt and slammed him against the wall. Chris had dropped the dog who was now barking at their feet. His dad mindlessly kicked the mut and it squealed in pain.

"I didn't mean to." Chris whimpered, his dad chuckled.

"My ass." He pushed the younger boy in the jaw and I watched. I fucking watched. It was like I had turned into a statue again. I was so shocked and so hurt that I didn't know what to do, the violent flash back from my past life didn't help very much either. I tried to suppress my panic attack that was quickly building up inside me.

'Do something you twat!' I mentally scolded myself. I ran over towards the two and tried to push the large man away but my hands went right through him. I could see the goose bumps rise on his arms but it had no effect on him. I tried everything, I tried to push, hit, shove, anything. But nothing was working. I was like a ghost, I was invisible and couldn't do anything about this.

All I could do was watch.

I ran my fingers through my hair, my breathing pattern was short and quick and I could feel warm tears falling down my face. By this point I was having a full on panic attack.

It was twenty minutes later that his father finally left the room after he finished his work. Chris curled into a ball on the floor and left out out, choking sobs. My heart shattered into a million peices. I let him down. I was supposed to protect him but I was too late. It was done and I couldn't stop it.

New purple and black bruises started to form over his light skin and the cut on his lip started to scab over.

"I'm sorry." I cried even though I knew he couldn't hear me. "I'm so sorry." He sat up quickly with furrowed eyebrows. He looked left and right as if he was searching for something. Could he hear me? Before I could process anything, he sighed and laid back on the ground where he remained for the rest of the night as did I.