Chapter 3

I am pulled back into consciousness by something cold and wet pressing against my temple. I cannot even find the strength to open my eyes. My chest aches as my lungs expand beneath my ribs. Every inch of my body feels battered and bruised.

"Will she be alright?" His voice is monotonous, concealing any sign of emotion.

"Yes."

"What happened back there?"

"Gaios and I sealed her magic. It prevents her from creating her own magic, as a light wielder she could still manipulate the magic of others. It was supposed to be temporary, I'm surprised it lasted this long. The seal has been broken. It must have been extremely painful, the release of all that magic," my mother's voice catches in her throat. She sobs quietly as tears splash onto my cheeks. My heart instinctively tightens in response to her anguish. My mother feels deeply and strongly, however, she only ever lets herself express her emotions briefly.

"Light magic has power over all matter. It is beautiful and deadly. If the wielder cannot control their magic destruction is inevitable," her voice is somber.

Despite my best efforts, I cannot fight the darkness that carries me to sleep.

***************

I do not know for how long I have slept. I feel someone shake my shoulders, gently at first, but with each passing minute the urgency grows. My body protests and it takes all my will power to pry open my eyes. Adreanus' green eyes stare back at me.

"Can you walk?" His eyes examine me.

I look around in a daze trying to get my bearings.

"Please try," he demands. His hands lift me to my feet and as he releases me my legs buckle under my weight. I grasp onto his arm for support. I feel him pull away from me instinctively, but he quickly repositions himself next to me.

It only takes me a few seconds before I am comfortable enough to walk without his support. I search the grounds for my mother—she is nowhere to be seen.

"My mother..." My throat is so dry it hurts to speak. My cheeks pink as I make the realization that I must have been sleeping with my mouth open.

"She is on her way," he reassures.

Although I am exhausted, I feel it at once.

"Dark fay!" I exclaim with urgency. Adreanus' eyes widen for a brief moment.

"Yes, that is why we decided to wake you. I'm surprised, in your state, that you are so quick to sense their approach." I decided to take his words as a compliment despite the non-congratulatory tone he spoke them with.

"What happened to me?" I ask as I assess my condition. I notice thick bandages wrapped around my chest. With every breath I feel an intense stabbing pain searing through my ribs. Dark purple bruises paint my skin.

"A tree fell on you," he says in a matter of fact tone that does not fit the context at all. A roaring laugh escapes my lips and I clasp my ribs tightly in pain. The look of bewilderment on Adreanus' face does nothing to stop my laughing.

"Please," I choke out the words between breaths. "It hurts to laugh."

My mother appears at my side from behind a large tree trunk. "I warded this area with earth magic. It should slow them down, however, we must move quickly." My mother nervously steps towards me. I can see she is questioning herself. I pull my mother into a tight hug. Despite everything I love her more than anything in the world. I feel her body relax against mine as she lets out a sigh of relief.