Chapter 30 - Avila

I step outside for some fresh air, but quickly retreat back into the house. Despite only being outside for a few minutes, large beads of sweat have already formed at the nape of my neck and have begun to trickle down my spine. I press my back against the wall of the hallway, goose bumps rise on my skin in response to the cool stone. Even though I know that it would be best that I rest, I do not want to sit still.

I wander down the hallway, my heart bounding in my chest. I do not exactly when I made the decision, but I know it is the right thing to do. I peer into room after room; relief swimming through me each time I see that it is empty. I follow the bend of the hallway that comes to an abrupt end as it opens into a spacious room. The room is decorated with ornate furniture that is heavily cushioned with velvety fabric. At first I do not see him. He is almost hidden sitting on the floor beside a large bed, his back propped up against the wall—probably enjoying the heat as much as I am. He hears the soft patter of my feet against the floor as I approach him and he immediately stands up when he sees me. The blood pounding in my ears is deafening.

"Eilif," I say already regretting what I am about to do, "can we talk for a moment?"

"Of course," he says, his voice warm and deep.

"My heart is in a funny place right now. There is so much that has happened to me in such a short time. My life has been thrown upside down," his eyes find mine as he takes me in his arms.

"Avila, I get it," he says sparing me the agony of saying the words. "You need to do what is best for you."

Water clouds my vision as tears begin to fall. His hands flex around my forearms tenderly. "I am also doing what is best for you," I whisper. The images of the little girl and boy, and the fight between Adreanus and Eilif dance across my eyelids.

I can see he is hurt, despite the heroics. His eyes sparkle as he closes them tightly forcing the tears away.

"One last request?" he says sheepishly.

"Anything."

"A departing kiss?" I see a faint blush that is well hidden underneath his golden skin.

Our eyes lock as I lean in to him. Our lips meet and we kiss. His lips move softly at first, I respond with increasing intensity and he follows suit. His arms wrap around me tightly as his hands boldly travel down the curve of my back. I feel breathless and lightheaded, not wanting to let him go. I press my body against his, our weight shifts and he falls back onto the bed. 

"Ehh hmmm," a voice calls from the entrance of the room.

I jump off of Eilif, utterly embarrassed at the present situation.

"Hello, Fiorella," I say, not able to contain my smile in anticipation of her reaction.

"Here I was thinking I was the one getting all the action from last night's party. Apparently, I was very much mistaken. I approve," she says winking at me.

"Uh... Well... Um..." I mumble.

"Would you mind giving us a minute," Eilif requests with a cheeky grin.

"Just one? That's all it takes?" Fiorella giggles loudly as she disappears out of the room.

"That was some kiss," Eilif says with hope in his voice.

"I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't..." I didn't get a chance to finish speaking.

"Don't apologize. I want to remember that kiss just as it was. Amazing. Avila, you are amazing. I won't pretend that I am not sad. I am. But, I am holding on to the hope that maybe one day when this is long behind us you might be ready to give us another shot."