Chapter 8

I make haste to rig a stretcher out of branches. I carefully transfer Adreanus from the ground onto the flexible twigs and cringe as I watch his body flinch in pain. Felix is happy to help and skillfully chooses the flattest routes as he gently pulls Adreanus on the stretcher as we make our way towards the western setting sun. I walk along side Adreanus. I know how to push his buttons and I take advantage of this to keep him awake.

I am exhausted from the battle but I do not dare set up camp for the night. My eyes search the horizon looking for any signs of a nearby town. My feet begin to stumble beneath me as the fatigue overwhelms me. Felix nudges me and I climb onto his back. Adreanus is struggling to maintain consciousness despite my persistent banter.

We ascend the acutely steep forest ground until we reach its peak. My lips part as I gasp in surprise. A large valley divides the forest and growing in this valley are the largest trees I have ever seen. Light flickers and dances from the trees. I know where we are.

I jump from Felix's back and run to Adreanus's side. His eyes are closed. I call out his name but he does not respond. I shake him, gently at first, but more forcefully as he does not respond.

"No! Please, you are going to be ok. Do you hear me Adreanus? There is no way in hell that you are going to give up. I'm not going to let you!" I call out.

I hop back onto Felix and lead him as quickly as we can safely travel down the ridge and into the valley. A wall of trees surrounds the city. I do not slow our pace as we approach the gates.

The sun has lowered past the horizon darkening the sky and limiting my vision. I can barely make out the single guard standing in the entranceway. Our advances are haltered as she eyes us suspiciously. I do not have time for this.

"I am the daughter of princess Lena. I require a healer immediately." I say with as much authority as I can muster.

"Impossible," she says faltering only for a minute before regaining her composure. She holds out a sword pointed directly at my chest.

"Not impossible. Now, you may choose to believe I am lying. However, your opinion in these matters has no importance. If I am the King's and Queen's only granddaughter and you deny me passage and do not immediately treat my companion who is quite literally on death's bed do you really want to accept the consequences of your actions?"

As we were now standing only a foot away from the guard I could see her contemplating my question.

"Very well. I give you my word that I will have a member of the guard immediately bring your companion to our healer and I will personally escort you directly to the Queen and King. Are you ready to accept the consequences of your actions?" She says as the corner of her lips draw up into smile.

I nod. I have no idea how I am going to convince anyone I am the heir to the throne when I cannot even remember my own name. The important thing is that Adreanus is going to be ok. I watch as the female guard shakes the earth beneath our feet and within seconds two more guards flank her to her right and to her left.

"Please escort the wounded directly to Helena. He is severely injured and needs immediate attention." She says with authority.

The two guards stroke Felix who protests against their touch and retreats to my side.

"Felix, it is ok," I hum in his ear. "Please you must go. Adreanus's life depends on it."

Felix reluctantly follows the guards as I watch them disappear into darkness.