Chapter 5

I fight against whatever is holding me. I know it is important, but I don't know why. It is hard to remember anything before the darkness. It feels as though an eternity has passed since I last saw light. The darkness eats away at me, filling me with sorrow, desperation, pain, fear, and grief. I wish every breath were my last, because with every breath my body fills with more despair. I want to scream in agony, but I have no voice. Every second crawls by. I think I might go insane. I am slipping now; I feel my life flickering on the brink of death. I want to welcome it, but my body holds on. A voice is pleading with me, "just a few more seconds, you can do it." Despite wanting to let go, I hold on. Then, I feel it, something beautiful and pure pulling away at the darkness. I see light dancing to the rhythm of an enchanted song, and I follow it as it leads me out of the abyss.

Warm sunlight caresses my skin and my cells hum with an unyielding desire to fight and to live. My body yearns to move. My eyelids are heavy but I will them open. The light burns as my pupils adjust to the brightness of the sun. Through squinting eyes, I see a beautiful green lake that shimmers with the reflection of a large bouldering hill. I cautiously raise myself into a sitting position. I instinctively survey my surroundings. Strings of light weave around trees, dance upon the water, and swirl in the air, I blink and they are gone—I must have imagined it. I turn my head to my left and my lips part as I let out an inaudible gasp. Resting against a tree is a man dressed in nothing but his undergarments. He is beautiful. His lean muscles expand with every breath. I catch myself starring and quickly avert my eyes. I notice a bag sitting beside a tree to my left, I quietly pad over and rummage through its contents. My hands find a sword, which I unsheathe, and I resolutely walk over to the man. I hold the sword an inch from his chest.

"Who are you?" I demand.

His eyes spring open and his jaw drops when he looks at me.

"What... What are you doing?" He stammers.

I don't know. The realization takes me by surprise. I can't remember anything. The sword remains steady, everything about it is familiar to me, how it feels in my hand, its weight, its length and yet I do not know why. I try and call up a memory, but nothing comes. I can't even remember my name. I evaluate my situation, if this man meant me any harm would he have left me unrestrained by the lake? That bag clearly contained my belongings. This man feels comfortable enough to be wearing his undergarments in my presence. Are we married? I glance done at my finger—no ring. Regardless, this man is likely the only clue I have to my identity.

"It seems I have a case of amnesia." I say calmly as I lower my sword.

The man hastily retrieves his clothes as I gaze at the lake.

"What do you remember?" He calls from behind me.

"Nothing," I say, gulping down my fear.

"What about your name?" He asks.

"I don't know," I admit, reluctantly. "What is my name?" I ask hoping it might jog my memory.

His face is blank. I can see he is internally debating his answer. His eyebrows lower into a deep frown.

"Just remember I could have easily lied to you right now. Instead, I am going to tell you the truth. I don't know your name, we only met a few days ago and you never mentioned it." His voice is flat and unbetraying of any emotion.

I consider his words, my hands tightening their grip on the hilt of my sword. There is nothing about my situation that is straightforward. My options are either to trust this man or wander the forest aimlessly.

"Alright," I concede, "Tell me everything that has happened since we met. But first, I am going to change into some dry clothes." I trudge over to the backpack careful not to turn my back to the man.

"Would you mind turning around?" I say sternly, crossing my arms over my chest. He mutters an apology before turning to face the lake. I peal off my clothes that cling to me like a second layer of skin and hang them over a tree branch to dry. I pull a turquoise t-shirt over my head and hop into some grey hiking pants. I lace up my shoes, which were sitting neatly beside my bag. I wring out my unruly dark hair and use my fingers to comb it back into a high ponytail.

"Ok, I'm done. Now, spill." I demand as I tread over to him. I plop myself down in the sand as I run fingers through the fine and warm grains.

"My name is Adreanus Gaios," he introduces himself. He proceeds to tell me of how we met and the events that unfolded since. I listen to his every word and I watch his face carefully for any signs of deceit. It is clear to me that Adreanus is well rehearsed in hiding his emotions. However, this does not prevent me from noticing subtle facial expressions, a slight twitch of his lips, a furrow of his brows, or a twinkle in his eyes. Although the story he tells is unfamiliar, my heart tells me otherwise. Its rhythm follows the story quickening, slowing, throbbing, and aching.

"Your mother demanded she stay behind so that I could save you." He attempts to maintain an unwavering voice, but I can hear some pain behind his words.

"I left your mother, as she requested, and journeyed here to heal you in the lake." My heart cannot take it. I feel tears burning in the back of my eyes. Words escape my mouth before my mind can even process what I am about to say.

"How could you?" I scream. "How could you leave her behind like that?" I try so hard to stop the tears but they will not be contained. I feel the water glistening down my cheeks. His hand reaches for me, but quickly falls to his sides. My mind cannot remember, but my heart clearly does. A wave of despair comes crashing down and smothering me. I try to catch my breath, as I blink away the tears. Once again the world around me is transformed. Waves of light dance around me, my pain drawing them in towards me. Adreanus leaps forward, kneeling in front of me, and he places his hands on my shoulders. His face is inches from mine and his eyes stare into my own, pleading.

"You must focus. Try breathing, slowly and deeply."

"I can't!" I gasp. I watch, horrified, as trees and rocks began to gravitate towards me. He nervously takes my hand in his, I do not protest, and he places it against his chest.

"Feel me breath, let me help you," his voice is tender laced with concern. His guard is down and I see him for who he truly is. I feel his chest beneath my hand expand as his lungs fill with air and slowly the air escapes from his mouth as he exhales. My breathing begins to slow as it aligns with his. My hold on our surroundings is released as my emotions are controlled.

I look into Adreanus' eyes, noticing the pattern of green and blue specs that ring his pupil. I feel his heart racing against the palm of my hand. For a brief moment he looks at me in such a way that I feel butterflies in my stomach. He quickly pulls his hand from mine and retreats back to where he had been standing.

"Will you be coming to the Western Province?" He grinds out.

I am shaken by the coldness in his voice. "Yes," I respond. My mother believes we are heading there and consequently it is my best bet at being reunited with her. I refuse to believe anything has happened to her.

"Well then, get your stuff and let's go," his voice impatient.