Chapter 9

I watch as Helena and Fiona enter the room. There is no denying they are mother and daughter, they both walk with a beautiful elegance that I envy.

Helena hands me a vile of golden fluid. "Drink this, it should help jog your memory," she said through a grin.

I place the vile beneath my nose and am pleasantly surprised by the aroma of sweet flowers and citrus fruit. I hesitantly press the vile to my lips and drink its contents in one swift chug as I throw back my head. Warmth instantly trickles down my throat making its way throughout my entire body.

"How do you feel?" Asks Helena surveying me carefully.

"Warm. Still no memories though," I sigh.

"If you will follow me," Helena says motioning me away from Adreanus's bed. I feel rooted to the spot.

"Don't worry Adreanus, son of Gaios Argyris, will be fine."

Fiona gasps. "Son of Gaios?" Her eyes dart to the bed. "He is his spitting image. But I know for a fact that he is the ward of Queen Cora of the Eastern Province."

"Have you not heard? Queen Cora has announced that he is missing." Helena says with a triumphant smile.

"Now, please if you would follow me child." Helena is hardly able to contain her excitement.

We return to the palace where I am led down halls, up staircases, through connecting tunnels from one tree to the next. The palace is a labyrinth. I allow myself to follow without paying the slightest attention to where we were heading. Instead, I focus on trying to remember something, anything. We are climbing a spiral staircase that seems to have no end until we stop outside of a sage green door.

Fiona hesitates before opening the door. Her hand quivers as her fingers grasped the doorknob turning it ever so slowly. She motions for us to enter. Helena strides in and I behind her whereas Fiona remains at the door. Sorrow is painted across her face. The room is entirely bordered by large windows on all sides. Glowing and warm sunlight dances around the room—it is the most beautiful room I had ever seen. The décor is breathtakingly enchanting. Sheer golden curtains run from the ceiling to the floor, there is a large bed made from a living tree that blossoms with lavender coloured flowers and long willowy branches creating a canopy around the bed, the furniture is chiseled from various different rocks, and surfaces are decorated with earthen clay sculptures.

"Where are we?" I ask, my mouth unable to close as it hangs open with awe.

"This room belonged to my granddaughter Lena. Perhaps you will remember something now."

I feel as if I am trespassing. Maybe Adreanus has lied to me? What if Lena is not my mother? I can not remember anything. I try and try and still nothing. I delicately walk around the room careful not to disturb a thing. As I circle the room, I notice a painting of a younger King and Queen and a girl about my age. I stared at the image. It was like looking in a mirror, only the girl's eyes were darker and her hair lighter than my own. I felt my heart quicken—I knew this girl. Blurry images dance across my eyelids as distant memories attempt to escape from a deep abyss. That is when I notice a small circular music box carved out of wood, intricate and ornate designs adorning the circumference. My fingers stroked its surface.

I turn to Helena. "May I?" I ask as I pinch the key of the music box between my index and thumb.

Helena nods. I turn the key three full times before releasing it. A soft and beautiful melody that sounds so familiar escapes from the box. As if the music has a spell on me words flutter from my mouth of their own accord. Before I know it I am singing the most beautiful song, my voice velvety and soft was a perfect match to the melody. I watch as Helena beams and Fiona stumbles into the room with her hands clenched at her chest as if unable to catch her breath.