Chapter 31- Avila

There is one week left before Spirit training begins and I am finally well enough to begin training. Every day my mother has been conducting very thorough and exhaustive check-ups to make sure I am the pinnacle of health. Today is the first day that I pass her tests.

"Finally," I complain in my seat, "I would have been fine to start a few days ago."

"Avila, there would have been no point. If you had pushed yourself too soon, it would have delayed your training even further."

I know she is right, "well I'm going to be behind," I sigh.

"I very much doubt it. I trained you practically every day of your life, Avila. You are a warrior."

Sudden guilt washes over me. "Of course mom. There is no doubt in my mind that I am strong in hands on fighting. It's wielding magic during a battle that frightens me," I admit.

"Mom, I think I know what might help," I say with sudden excitement.

"Oh, and what is that?" my mother asks oblivious to my next request.

"I need to watch you wield your magic." My mother's response surprises me. She laughs, almost sadistically.

"Alright. Let's start after your morning bath. I have no doubt that the hot springs have played a significant role in your quick recovery."

"I wouldn't call this quick."

***************

It takes us a good hour before we find a suitable location for my training. My mother insists on finding the most vegetation-rich environment, but also restricting our search to secluded areas.

I watch my mother's magic in awe. It is so unbelievably perfect. Every particle of energy is in the correct place. I observe silently for some time as I watch my mother transform the environment. Cacti shoot out of the earth and mounds of dirt rise and fall at her will.

My use of light magic as earth magic is nothing in comparison to what my mother can do. I remember my battle with Eilif and recognize that my skills are greatly lacking. If Eilif's magic is anywhere near as strong as my mothers I think he was lying when he said he was only holding back just a little. I'm going to have to take an entirely different approach with my magic.

"I am going to attempt to copy you," I say standing next to her.

"Alright, I will keep it simple," she smiles, "at first. I suppose it is a good thing we are in the Southern Province, my magic is weakest here."

I only ever saw glimpses of my mother like this; she must have missed using her magic for all of those years. Although I do not doubt she used it whenever I was out of sight. There were times were I couldn't believe how perfect a spot was for setting up camp—trees growing in just the right way and the earth the perfect softness for sleeping.

I send my magic moving parallel to hers trying to imitate its movement. At first, I am entirely unsuccessful. I realize that there is more to her magic than just the way it bends and moves, I need to replicate the feel of her magic. 

I close my eyes and take a deep breath; opening my eyes I look at my mother and carefully examine the magic that hovers around her, like a shimmering shield. I connect the strings of my silver light to her olive-coloured glow. I can't stop the gasp of surprise that escapes my lips. My magic connects with hers. I can't help but remember that night with Adreanus, when I felt as if we were one. The memory stains my cheeks crimson.