Chapter 11

Guilly nuts are used for one thing and one thing only. They are used to replenish the energy of wielder's of magic. They are especially helpful for neophyte wielder's who have not yet mastered control of their magic. As I walk alongside my great grandmother I can't help but wonder what hides behind her knowing eyes. I tell myself that she must have thought, based on my symptoms, which now that I think about were screaming magic overload, I had been using Earth magic.

Our walk is slow. Adreanus's injuries limit our pace. I peek over my shoulder and see that he winces with every step he takes. In his state he really should be resting in bed. I slow our pace just a bit more in the hopes that it will alleviate some of his pain. As we approach the royal dinning quarters I hear Adreanus's request to visit the library and suppress a smile when Eilif offers to escort us first thing in the morning.

Queen Fiona sits at the head of a large mahogany table. The King is absent. I nervously shuffle on the spot. Am I supposed to join her at the table? Should I wait to be invited? I realize I have no idea what kind of customs apply to being a royal. I feel my stomach turn. I know part of me always wished to settle down and have a home somewhere instead of being eternal vagabonds. However, this was not what I had in mind.

Helena links her arm in mine. I hadn't realized the extent of our difference in size until that moment. She towers over me. She leads me silently to the table and motions for me to sit on the right side of my grandmother and she takes the seat directly across from me sitting to my grandmother's left. Adreanus sits next to me and Eilif turns to leave.

"Eilif, please come join us." Fiona says before he exits the room. Eilif does not protest and I watch as Eilif takes the seat across from Adreanus.

"I'm afraid to say that my husband will not be joining us this evening." Fiona says regretfully.

Adreanus and Eilif do not look at all surprised. I wonder what they know that I don't. It does not take a second before all is explained to me.

"There is no beating around the bush. Avila, as you will come to learn I am straightforward person, I like to get to the point. My husband will not accept you as his granddaughter until you demonstrate your abilities in a fight. Perhaps this seems a little barbaric, but this is the way of the Earth province. There has never been an heir to the throne who has not exhibited a strong control of Earth magic and battling skills." Fiona crosses her arms across her chest as she speaks.

Her body language speaks volumes—she is angry with her husband and does not believe I need to prove myself. I smile momentarily but that smile quickly fades as the realization of what is to come sinks in.

Crap. Adreanus had warned me and yet somehow I was really really hoping that it would not come down to this. We better find those journals ASAP and I pray that there is something in there that can help me.

Normally I am good at concealing my emotions. However Fiona has caught me off guard and I realize too late that my concern is written clearly across my face.

"I am well aware that you are injured and I have negotiated with my husband to give you five days of rest. Avila, I know you are my granddaughter. You have nothing to fear. We, of the Western province, are born warriors. Now let's enjoy our meal."

The tension in the room is broken as food is placed on the table before us. The aroma coming from the platter in front of me is indescribable. After going months with barely anything to eat I cannot hold myself back for even a moment. I throw etiquette aside and shovel the food into my mouth. I peek over at Adreanus who is only doing a slightly better job than I at remaining polite.