Chapter 6

Each day that passes blends into the last. The leaves change from green to yellow with the end of the season. Every day we walk for hours hardly uttering a word, the seclusion wears heavy on my heart. I have tried for weeks to befriend my companion, but he does not cordially engage in any form of conversation. The few times he speaks his words are blunt and without emotion. To keep my mind busy, I focus on harnessing my powers. At first it is almost impossible to call upon it. My powers seem to be entirely ruled by my emotions. Every time Adreanus is particularly awful and I lose my temper, I see the strings of light. I decide to concentrate on the changes that occur at those times. I have spent the last few days goading Adreanus, willing him to make me snap. Sometimes it works, but other times it ends with me clutching at my sides dying of laughter leaving Adreanus with the impression that I am going crazy. It is not long before I can pin point the change, my anger pulls at a veil until it lifts and when it does the world around me changes. It takes a lot of practice, but I learn how to lift the veil without the emotional turmoil. I am now able to see light magic at will, but I do not dare to try and manipulate it.

Every night I lay awake, trying to conjure up a memory from my past, but I am never successful. Sometimes images come, but they are always too blurry to decipher. It is only my memory of autobiographical events that seems to have been affected, whereas my memory of facts, concepts, and general knowledge remains intact.

By foot, it will take us far too long to reach the Western Province. I cannot bare Adreanus' coldness much longer. For the past month I have been collecting a large assortment of healing plants—how is it I can remember the names and properties of every plant we cross but I cannot remember my name? I have been lucky. The changing of seasons represents a magical time where rare plants bloom and bare magical fruit. We will stop in Lagua and I will perform some healing tasks as well as selling my harvest at the market. Together with the savings in my backpack, we should have enough to buy a horse.

I see the lights of the city up ahead. Adreanus is hiking far ahead of us. I clear my throat to get his attention. He slows and stops, turning to face me.

"Adreanus, I am going into Lagua to do some business. The journey is too long on foot."

"I have no money. I left the palace rather hastily and certainly did not expect to be gone for so long." This is the most I have heard him say in a long time.

"I have a plan. Just trust me, alright?"

"Do I have a choice?" he sighs.

"Nope," I say smiling ear to ear.

"So stubborn," he mumbles angrily.

****************

We reach Lagua in the early afternoon. The city is humming with the coming and going of people. Somehow I know just what to do. I confidently walk down the busiest streets introducing myself as the daughter of Selena, a name I only know because of Adreanus. I am overcome by a confusing wave of emotion when I see that her name is recognized and well respected. It doesn't take long before I have an adequate list of patients to treat. I make my rounds, hoping that my healing skills are sufficient.

We stay for two nights, setting up camp outside of the city to save on the cost of board. Adreanus accompanies me during my visits. Although it is clear that he intended to sit in silence and observe me, I put him to work despite his objections. The first two days are filled with treating common and uncomplicated cases such as burn wounds, goblin bites, and fay rash. I make a fair sum, however none of the ailments warrant large payments. On the third day, I sell the remainder of my supplies at the market. I believe we should have enough for a horse.