Chapter 19

Adreanus POV:

I decide to pack the journals, they are heavy and cumbersome and more than likely will slow me down but I cannot trust that King Alexander will not search my room. I shove some outfits into the base of my bag before I decide to raid the kitchen for rations. Returning to my room I take one last sweeping look to make sure everything I need is packed.

I hear Luna's footsteps approaching my room. Shit. What am I going to tell her?

She doesn't bother knocking at the door. She swings it open and her arms are neatly folded across her chest. Her eyebrows are bent into a deep furrow and her eyes are like a raging dark blue ocean.

"I didn't want to believe it," she says through gritted teeth. "Caleb told me something was up. How foolish of me to tell him that you had no intentions of leaving."

"Luna, please," is all I can say.

"Don't Luna, please, me!" she says, the volume of her voice beginning to escalade. "Adreanus I have known you for what seems like forever! I know when something is up. Who is this Avila to you anyway?" Her eyes watch me closely. "I know you traveled alone together. You slept in the same room every night in Veena." Her cheeks pink the slightest.

"It's not like that. We never..."

"Well, it certainly looks like that to me. The moment you hear she is possibly in danger you decide to run to her rescue," she presses. "Without even consulting me."

"Luna, I will keep and honour my promise to you." I say hoping to reassure her.

"Don't you understand? I want more than you simply honouring your promise. For that reason, I have informed my mother and father that I am releasing you from your promise. Adreanus, I will not marry a man who does not genuinely love me. That does not mean I have given up on us."

"Luna..." I begin. I want to thank her and explain to her that she deserves so much more than what I have to offer. But she interrupts me before I can speak.

"Not a word more. Away you go. We both need some time apart. And when we meet again at the Spirits you might reassess your decision. Take down those walls Adreanus and you might find that I am worth your love," she says confidently.

She turns on her heels not affording me another glance as her long blond hair swings back and forth with the rhythm of her steps. I cannot help but wonder what she has in store for me. Luna is never without a plan.

*************

The dock is busy. Merchants are loading and unloading goods for sale and for trade. I push my way through the crowd until I reach the loading bay for the Royal Guards. Two guards eye me up and down. They nod and part way allowing me to pass, clearly recognizing me as a member of the Royal family. I quickly find a small and sturdy boat that bobs up and down with the tide. I throw my bag into the boat and climb on board. Travelling by water is extremely efficient when you a wielder of water magic.

I feel the movement of the water beneath the boat and weave my magic creating a current that quickly carries the boat southward. I lie on my back in the curve of the deck and stretch out my arms resting my head on the palms of my crossed hands. All of my energy is focused on maintaining the current. Luckily living in the Eastern Province has made me immune to seasickness. I spent the better half of my childhood on boats navigating the seas and refining my magic. There is no better way to harness water magic than out in the middle of the ocean.

The undercurrents battle against my magic slowing the boat. I close my eyes. Mastering water magic did not come easy to me—it took years of practice before I was able to yield it. I close my eyes and concentrate on the natural flow of the water and pull at it until it surrenders to my magic. The boat returns to its previous speed and carries me on my way.

Days blend into the next as I navigate the waters in solitude. I have decided not to join the rest of guards from the Eastern Province. I am not one to follow the rules created by others and I do not care for the politics involved in decision-making. I know the best route and I will take it. It is bitterly cold. The freezing wind nips at my face causing the skin on my lips to crack and peel. When the natural currents carry me where I need to go I rest. I prop myself against the large mast that reaches towards the sky and I read my father's journals. I want to share everything I have learnt with Avila. I want to watch her eyes twinkle with a curiosity that matches my own. I resent the excitement I feel knowing that I will see her soon. My thoughts also drift to Luna and I am surprised to find that I feel something, something that wasn't there before. There was truth to her words—I have built up a wall and if that wall were lowered would I see her in the same light? Alone with my thoughts I torment myself with the scenarios that play out in my mind. I repeatedly remind myself that I cannot be with either.

It started by keeping track of the passing days in one of my father's half-filled journals. Now, I am writing my every thought. It is as if the pen and ink have a mind of their own as my deepest thoughts spill onto the pages. I grow weary of the long days and nights alone on the ship and begin to regret my decision of choosing to make this journey alone. Leaning over the edge of the boat I dip a canister below the surface of the water. I pull pure molecules of water into the canister filtering out the salt. I press the canister to my lips and take a long swig. The solitude wears heavy on my mind and I am grateful to see approaching land far off in the distance. Hot air wisps through my hair as it chases out the cold breeze making for a much more comfortable journey. Basking in the warmth of the changing climate, I let the boat rock me to sleep and as the painted red sky darkens to an inky black.

Harsh waves awaken me from my sleep sending my body hurdling across the deck. As the shore approaches the deafening waves crash against jagged black igneous rocks that pierce the ocean surface. I act fast, directing the boat is not easy. It takes all of my energy to stay clear of the rocks that threaten to destroy the boat. The hours trickle by as I slowly make progress towards the shore.

I kick off my boots and socks, roll up the legs of my pants, and welcome the feeling of sand beneath my feet. The water is pleasantly warm and the black sand almost hot to touch. I pull the boat to shore and collapse onto the sand. I lay on my back thankful to be on land once again.