Chapter 15

The sun is already high in the sky. For the first time in a long time I allow myself to sleep in. The battle has been scheduled for 2pm. I lay awake warm beneath the heavy comforter. I roll onto my side and notice Adreanus's bed is empty.

I reluctantly kick the blankets to the bottom of the bed. I browse my new collection of fighting gear and pick a light pair of chocolate brown pants that do not restrict my range of motion and a warm and snug cobalt blue wool sweater. As I head out the door and pull my hair into a high ponytail making sure there are no loose ends that might impair my vision.

To warm up I decide to go for a run to the stables to pay Felix a visit. The city is busy with the coming and going of people. I see many curious eyes fall on me. The rumours of the return of an heir have spread into the city and King has declared that the battle will be open to the eyes of the public.

I hear Felix's neigh of delight when he sees me approaching. He canters over rubbing his head against my chest. I haven't had too many opportunities to visit my trusted stead since arriving and I have missed him. I stroke his mane and rub my fingers gently down his nose. I pull out an apple from my pocket and hold it out for him to eat. I feel myself relax. Time moves quickly and I know that my presence will shortly be needed at the battling grounds.

Just as I wonder where Adreanus has disappeared to, I see him approaching. We barely share a word and yet I find his presence comforting.

*********************

Every seat is filled. The King and Queen are seated in the very front row and the crowd surveys their every move that is until I make my entrance and all eyes focus on me.

Adreanus faces me holding my arms in his hands; he gently applies pressure, leans in and whispers in my ear.

"You have nothing to worry about. You'll do great." The words barely escape his mouth before he disappears into the crowd. I breathe deeply trying to calm my nerves. I remind myself that my focus has to be entirely on the battle and nothing else.

I take my place in the center. I scan the battlefield carefully. I take notice of every tree, every rock, every root, and the rising and falling of the earth beneath my feet. I allow my eyes to shift in and out of focus until I can see the beautiful tapestry of light magic veil my sight. I feel my surroundings. It is clear the grounds have been designed for wielders of Earth magic. My attention shifts to Eilif who is now entering the grounds. I had forgotten just how tall he is. I feel his magic too and my stomach turns in response to its strength.

He faces me square on. His eyes appraise me sympathetically. His underestimation of my strength is what I will use to my advantage. He has never seen me battle. I on the other hand have picked Adreanus' brain and know his weakness—his big size makes him slower on his feet.

I hear the Queen's voice bellowing over the crowd and with heavy authority she informs them that the battle will begin and that distractions are not welcomed. Eilif and I take our fighting stance and wait for the signal to begin. With a deafening blow of a horn it has started.

I draw my sword. The words of the Queen replay in my mind reminding me that there is to be no attempt to severely injure one another. Our swords meet with an echoing clang and our bodies move in synchronicity. I stay low to the ground making it more difficult for Eilif to meet my sword.

Our spiralling tracks document our movements across the battlefield. I begin to take note of his style and continue to allow Eilif to believe he has the upper hand waiting for the right moment. Eilif's reliance on Earth magic increases as the battle wears on. Adreanus and I agreed that it would not be wise for me to manipulate his magic as suspicion might arise. If it weren't for the fact that my ability to see his light magic allows me to know the intent of his magic before its action is carried out, the battle scene would be a very different one. My anticipation of his magic has left him frustrated and my opening transpires.