Chapter 28- Avila

"I don't know if I believe you," despite my best efforts my words are curt. I cannot allow myself to believe that I am safe. Not if that reality will be stolen from me momentarily by the appearance of a laughing Diggory.

Fiorella closes the distance between us until her face is inches from my own. She places her index finger on the tip of my nose, her hand is freezing cold and then scolding hot".

"Could anyone other than a wielder of fire magic do that?" she says, numbing the burning sensation with a pleasant coolness.

"Now tell me, who might you be? Of course, I suspect I know. But I want you to tell me nonetheless."

"Avila," I say as sly smile forms on the beautiful women's face.

"I was right, as per usual!" Fiorella claims triumphantly.

Asher scoffs before propping himself at the foot of my bed.

"What happened to you?" Asher asks his voice cracking, a clear sign of adolescence. I eye him cautiously and note the genuine concern and curiosity etched into his features.

"A terrible encounter with dark fay, their magic poisoned me." I say with affirmation, hiding the half-truth I am spinning.

"How did you find me?" I ask with equal curiosity.

I can feel Fiorella's eyes glaring at her brother. He grins clearly eager to defy her.

"A fire sprite! We were battling, just the two of us, on the training grounds and he just appeared. He brought us right to you. You were laying, practically dead, at the base of Mount Amber. The sprite spoke to us! I always knew they existed," he says quickly shooting an I told you so sort of look to his sister, "he told us to bring you to a secret location, and so we did!"

"Well, how could we turn down the wishes of a Sprite, and such a handsome one at that!" Fiorella purrs. "Besides, keeping secrets from our parents is my absolutely favourite hobby."

I try and process the information. How did I escape from Diggory's grasp?

"I must return to the Western Province, my mother must be worried sick," I say trying to avoid further questions that I would not be able to answer.

"Clearly I already sent word to your dear mama. Did you know that our paths crossed just recently? Yes, I saw your mother along with Adreanus and Eilif. I think it is safe to say that your mother isn't the only one concerned for your wellbeing. Tell me, is it as good as I imagine it would be?"

"Is what as good as you imagine?" I ask flustered.

"Having them both, of course!"

My face fills with blood and I am painfully aware that my skin is as red as Fiorella's hair.

"I... I..." I cannot form a coherent sentence. "Of course that is not the situation," I finally spit out.

"Well, mother is waiting to meet you. We best get you fixed up."

Asher rolls his eyes and disappears out of the door.

"Now, if she is going to believe that nothing so fantastical happened to you, we better get you cleaned up. Can you walk?"

It takes a while before I am able to coordinate any movement, let alone walk. My legs wobble beneath my weight. Fiorella gracefully takes my arm in hers to support me.