Chapter 13

"We should probably head back to the library before anyone notices our absence," Adreanus says reluctantly.

"I suppose you are right," I agree pulling myself out of the sofa that was so cushiony it consumed my body.

I pick up my bag from the floor and begin loading it with the journals. I hold out my hand to Adreanus who passes me the journal he had been reading for no more than a few minutes.

Adreanus extinguishes the torches with his water magic and we make our exit. We walk along the hallway and when we reach the back of the bookshelf we press our ears against the thick wood that separates us from the library. Silence. We both push at the shelf and allow it to inch open very slowly. Adreanus peers through the slightest sliver of an opening.

"The coast is clear," he says with relief.

We quietly push the bookshelf just enough to slip through and quickly close it once more remembering to lock the entrance behind us.

We sit ourselves back at the desk on which I had placed the books not more than half an hour ago. My heart is racing. We did it!

"Do you think its safe to read these here?" I whisper. My thoughts are no. Adreanus unfortunately agrees with me.

I reluctantly pick up one of the books from the table. The spine is old and battered and the pages stained and tattered. The book looks ancient. I flip to the first page and begin to read. Even the language and syntax is old. I begin skimming through the pages. I allow the pages to brush through my fingers only something cashes my eye. I quickly stop the pages from turning and back track until I find the image that had struck me.

"What are these?" I whisper to myself.

I have never seen such a beautiful illustration. The image is of two beings that look like humans only they have silvery wings stretching out from their backs. Why are these images in a book about Black Fay? I quickly read the caption at the bottom of the image.

"Adreanus," I whisper in awe. "Have you ever heard of White Fay?"

Adreanus closes his book with hurried and quiet thud.

"Actually, yes. But only just today! My father had mentioned them in the journal I was reading."

"Come here," I motion to the spot next to me. The sofas are so large it doesn't take much scooching to make enough room for the two of us. I hold the book between us as we read.

Unfortunately the chapter on White Fay is very short, which based on the information is not surprising. Apparently White Fay existed long before any human walked this earth. It is believed, by the author, that they were magical beings who lived for many lifetimes in peace until groups of White Fay began to inexplicably lose their magic and their wings. Jealous of their peers these White Fay learnt that they could harvest a fraction of the magic from other White Fay by removing their wings. By absorbing the energy from the wings, the White Fay literally and figuratively turned dark. This is how the author explains the creation of Dark Fay. The Dark Fay never able to attain the level of power of the White Fay continually sought more magic. A war raged between the White and Dark Fay. The White Fay were victorious. To prevent any recurrence the remaining White Fay removed their own wings and transformed themselves into humans, as we know them today, and the magic from their wings created Sprites. Although most of their power was lost, many of the humans retained some magic over the elements.