Chapter 12

"Avila," my name rolls off of his tongue softly. I don't think I have ever heard him address me by my name.

"mhhmm," I murmur as I roll away from him and pull the soft duvet over my head.

I feel the duvet slip from my fingers as it is pulled off of me. The cold air is enough to startle me awake.

"What?" I croak. My eyes are mere slits as they try and adjust to the light coming from the lantern Adreanus is holding inches from my face.

"Eilif will be here any minute now."

I jump into a seated position. "Are you sure?" I feel as if I had only just fallen asleep.

"I'm sure," he says using the very same tone as on the day we first met.

"How are you feeling?" I ask as I scan him for any signs of sickness. I cannot believe how different he looks. It is as if he made a full recovery over night.

Adreanus leans towards me and in a whisper says, "whatever you did with your light magic worked. I honestly feel as good as new."

If light magic can heal what else can it do? I can't decide if I feel excitement or dread.

"People will be suspicious of a full recovery at this time. I will have to put on a bit of a show."

"You'll have to be pretty convincing you look like the epitome of good health."

"I've had lots of practice." It is clear he regrets his words as soon as they leave his mouth. What does he mean that he has had lots of practice putting on a show? I wish he would quit being so cryptic.

I grab my bag and rummage around for some clothes only to find my only warm clothing, other than those soaking in the sink, are torn to pieces from the battle. I pull the sweater out of my bag to assess the extent of the damage. 

"Helena left you this." Adreanus hands me yet another pile of clothing. I am not used to receiving so many gifts—it makes me feel uncomfortable. As I reach to take the clothes our hands touch and we both recoil.

"I think we should put what happened between us behind us. This will not be the last time some part of our body touches. We are friends and nothing more." I lie. My heart aches but I hold my head high and steady not allowing any sign of my true feelings to escape. I am just going to have to get over him, which is really hard when last night happens to be constantly replaying in my mind.

"Shake on it?" He asks.

I hold out my hand for him and he takes my hand in his and with a firm shake our hands linger one inside the other for just a moment before we let go.

A quick knock and the creak of the door as it swings open tells me Eilif has arrived. I had forgotten how tall Eilif was. He takes the majority of the doorway. Why was it that everyone in the Western province seemed to be giants except for me?

"Good morning, I trust you slept well?" he greets us with a large smile. His eyes fall on me and he immediately blushes.

"My apologies, I will give you some privacy to change. Adreanus, perhaps you might join me in the hall?"

I hadn't given a second thought to what I was wearing. Was it really that intimate that Eilif felt the need to leave?

I pull on the warm woolen violet top adjusting the cowl neck so that it sits just right. The pants are grey and a little long but otherwise comfortable. I make a quick stop in the washroom and brush my hair into a high ponytail. The shirt complements my strong collarbones and elongates my neck. Any trace of fatigue has faded and I am surprised at how pretty I look.