Chapter 25 - Selena

Author's Note: 50,000 words complete!!! I am getting so close to finishing this book. Probably another 5-8 chapters. This will be the first book I have ever finished. 

POV: Selena

I watch as the sun sets over Veena, it is just as I remember it. The cool air against my skin creates a wave of goose bumps that spreads down my body. I have imagined this day so many times before, only no matter how I imagined it Avila was always at my side.

We are greeted at the great gates by two guards. They speak in hushed voices to Eilif and cast curious glances in my direction. They escort us into the city. I make it clear that we have urgent business with the Queen and King and that we have no time for any delays. No matter how fast we travel through the city I cannot supress the fear that we are not moving fast enough. I hush my ruminating brain as I cannot bare thinking of what Diggory has been doing to my Avila.

Despite being gone for nearly two decades, I still remember every inch of the palace. I lead the way ascending and descending, making sharp turns and running down hallways, Eilif and Adreanus trailing behind me, until I come to an abrupt stop in front of my parents' chambers.

I rhythmically wrap my knuckles against the thick doors, just as I did as a child. I hear the sound of hurried footsteps and with a loud creak the door swings open. Standing before is my mother, her hair is neatly braided into a long ponytail that runs down her back. Her eyes are wide with surprise.

"I knew you would come home!" She says chocking back tears as she throws her long and elegant arms around me.

"My daughter!" my father calls out, now standing next to my mother. He pulls me into a tight hug. I had almost forgotten how small my father made me feel. I watch as he peers down the hall, his eyes linger on Adreanus and Eilif.

"Where is Avila?" he asks. I can hear the concealed concern in his voice.

"She was taken and I am going to get her back," I say with as much reserve as possible. I must hold on to hope.

"As much as I would like to stay. There is something I must do. Eilif and Adreanus can explain everything that occurred leading up to Avila's capture." My eye glance over to Adreanus, who nods his head just the slightest. For now, it is safest to keep Avila's secret.

My mother tries to protest, but she knows me all too well. I am as stubborn as they come, much like her. I leave the palace and make my way into the forest. I kick off my shoes, leaving them on the periphery, and I run into the forest. The earth his damp beneath my feet, I can feel the energy of the forest humming through my body. I move seamlessly, like a flowing river that moves with the forest landscape. I run until I find it—the very same lake that brought us together.

I drop to my knees at the border of the water and gently run my fingers over its surface. I watch as the ripples dance across the water. I wait, hoping and expecting. But nothing happens.

I close my eyes and take three deep breaths and with each exhale the branches of the trees bend to my command. I am sending him the very same signal I sent him every day for a year. I dig my feet into the dirt and I feel the message travelling through the forest, as it is my will.

"Avdel, we need you," I whisper as a single tear falls from my cheek into the pond.

"Lena?" I recognize his voice immediately. I stand and turn in the direction of his voice.

The man in front of me I do not recognize. If it weren't for what I know now, what I researched with Guius, I would have been shocked.

"Avdel, you have a daughter." I say weakly.