Fear Silence

I walked into our small apartment, the door clicked shut behind me and I leaned against its tall wooden frame.

I sighed, bringing my hand to the black tie around my neck and pulling it off with difficulty.

I didn't move from the spot I stood, leaning against the door with my head bowed.

My back scraped harshly over the square handle on the door as I slid down. The black coat over my shoulders suddenly very heavy.

I shrugged it off, it fell beside me as I sat on the cold wet floor. I kicked off my heavy snow laiden boots.

I picked them up, neatly setting them next to another set of larger, taller brown boots.

My stomach turned at the sight.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and thumped back onto the door, the cold from the outside world seeping in from the cracks in the door

I lowered my head, folding my hands and resting my elbows on my knees as I sat.

It was dark out, the apartment barely lit by a small fridge and microwave. The steely glow stretched shadows up on the walls and over the corners.

A shirt was strewn over a chair, thrown there in a rush out the door.

I reached for it, my limbs feeling heavy and numb as my fingers curled around the white shirt.

I pulled it towards me, looking down at it and smiling sadly.

I curled into a smaller form, bringing the shirt to my face and smelling deeply

His shirt

My heart thumped horribly in my empty chest, my mind being driven over the edge.

Hot rivers spilled over and ran down my cold cheeks, again and again being renewed with a new stab of pain.

My shoulders slumped, my body feeling tired and horribly dirty.

The black suit I was in was now stained by the slush filled ground in front of the door.

I mostly felt numb, empty. I had no resolve to live, or any drive to breath anymore.

I held the shirt close, hugging it with my knees.

My body shook in ugly sobs, my face scrunching in agony as I thought.

Why did you have to go to work. It was your day off...You told me it was going to be a day for us to relax.

Your boss just had to call you in.

You simply had to take the car, you knew I was getting snow tires on them soon and yet you took it anyways instead of the train.

"I'll be home in three hours or so, I love you!" He had called, giving my disappointed frown a kiss and leaving out the door before I could answer.

Four hours later I got a call, telling me I needed to get to the hospital

I saw him, my body frozen as I saw his chest rise and fall quickly.

Then stop before I could even get to him

I gasped for air, falling on my side as I screamed in my knees.

"I love you too Eren" I gasped out, tugging and ripping at my black hair as the words left my mouth for the hundreth time in the past two days

And yet

You would never hear it

I finally understand why people fear silence