First Day

ADRIEN

"How is my niece?"

I scoff and show 5 fingers. "She's weak." I put down my thumb. "She's super whiny." I put down my index finger.

"You do know that you're talking to her uncle, right?"

I ignore his statement and proceed with my enumeration, "She's very stubborn." I put down my middle finger.

"Lieutenant, that is enou-"

"But she's very determined." I interrupt him as I put down my fourth finger. "And also hardworking." I finish, putting down the last finger.

"I did not expect a compliment from you...well you gave 2 which is more surprising."

I give out a light chuckle as I shrug my shoulders. "Hey, I give my best at times, even when it comes to compliments."

General Hugo stands from his chair and looks out the window. He stares outside for a while and then starts to chuckle.

Curious, I walk to stand beside him and look out the window too. Outside, I see Private Marinette struggling to carry one sand bag. Her body is bent over the bag. She hangs it over her shoulder and tries to run. But as she takes her first step, she falls on the field with the sand bag on top of her.

"Ouch." General Hugo utters beside me, "That must be really heavy..."

"That bag only contains 10 kilograms, sir...the lightest out of all of them there." I inform him, slightly amused.

"Are those bandages around her arms?"

I look out again and notice the white bandages around her arms. I hope she applied the ointment on her wound.

"She got wounded when they did the team obstacle course yesterday." I explain and through the corner of my eye, he nods.

"Did she wash it? Or..."

"I left a bottle of ointment on her bed last night." I reply. "Although that she is weak, that woman is very hardworking and persevering." I point out to General Hugo. He scoffs and turns around to walk back to his chair.

"She is not a woman..." He murmurs as he sits on his chair. "She is still a girl..."

I take one last glance outside before walking to stand in front of the general.

"I'm guessing that she is uncle's little girl?" I inquire and I see the general's cheeks flush a faint color of red.

"Yes, I know it's embarrassing." He utters, "But I can't help to feel so protective over her..."

"What are you trying to say, general?"

"She suffered alot when her father passed away, and...never mind." He shakes his head like as if trying to erase the thought running in his head.

"And what, sir?" I ask. "Please continue."

"I've heard stories." he says, instead. "Stories that can never let me know if they are real or not..."

"Well I hope that they aren't spooky stories!" I sarcastically utter and the general glares right at me.

"No. I've heard stories about her knowing the government's secrets."

That got my attention. I turn to look at him and he lightly chuckles in amusement.

"I've gotten your attention. Haven't I, Lieutenant?"

"You could of at least told me directly..." I mumble. "How can you prove that the rumors are real? Does she really know things that we don't know?"