When It Comes

MARINETTE

"A-And why would you want to do that?" He sputters, not expecting the words that came out my mouth.

"Because who else aside from me can appeal to both sides?"

"Mari..."

"I am the daughter of the first proditor," I quickly state with determination, looking straight at his eyes, "while I am also the daughter of a man who worked for the government all of his life." I place a hand on my chest and with conviction I continue, "If Monarch won't choose to stand in front. Let me be the one. Some have seen me in front of them before. I must not stop there. I need to continue."

Adrien lets out a breath then drops his head, resting his forehead against mine. "I...If..." he sighs again. "If this is what you want...then I'll help you prepare for whatever needs to be said." He places a hand behind my head. He draws back to gently tilt my head to look at him. Is this what you really want?" He whispers, desperately searching my eyes.

"It scares me," I confess in a soft voice. I swallow and blink countlessly, tears brimming my eyes. "But Adrien...I don't want to stand idly anymore. When I will talk, I won't only be doing it for them and the hope of our land, but I will also be doing it for you. For us and our future that I want to spend with you."

"And I choose to believe you..." He runs a thumb under my eye, a smile playing about his lips. He leans in, pressing a soft kiss on my forehead then proceeds to pull me closer to leave a tender kiss on my lips. I immediately reciprocate it, looping my arms around his neck, holding him dearly as he holds me the same.

The deep kiss we shared leaves the both of us panting for air when we pull back. "I love you..." I manage to utter in ragged breaths. He lets out a soft laugh, brushing a finger on my swollen lips.

"...and I choose to fully believe that as well," he replies with a glint in his eye before pulling me in for another kiss.

------------

"Monarch, why won't you be there?" I ask for the nth time.

I personally asked Monarch to see me. Now we are in my room, just the two of us. Although he and Adrien are civil with each other, that did not stop the fact that Adrien clearly stopped himself from even batting an eyelash to show his discomfort that I'm making him leave me alone for some time. I did not want to say it out loud, but I found it really cute how he tried to show that he was unbothered with the fact that I wanted to talk to Monarch.

Now that it is just Monarch and I, as much as possible I didn't want to start an argument. But I couldn't help myself. I guess it is in our nature now when we see each other.

"Haven't I explained it well enough?" He grunts, throwing his hands to his sides.

I roll my eyes and huff, "You keep on explaining but I still don't see anything wrong with you being there!"

"Look," he holds out a hand at me, "you can't just place me on a pedestal now that you need me to lead."

"It's not only me who needs you," I argue, my voice raising in the room, "the people need you."

"Marinette, can't see? Do you know what I'm trying to point out? You have the capability to do that." He takes a step forward, looking straight into my eyes. "That is what I love about you..." he whispers before turning the other way and continuing, "and that is what I took from you."

My heart drops with his last words. I clench my hands into fists, yearning to find the right words to say...or even the strength to say anything.

"Monarch-"