No Promises

MARINETTE

"My uncle's an ass." I mumble whilst holding an ice bag on Adrien's swollen cheek.

He winces a bit, feeling the coldness of the ice on his cheek. He sneaks a glance at me with no emotion showing on his face. "I'm also an ass." He murmurs.

"That is not true."

"Then why am I disobeying direct orders?" He shoots back, his pupils wavering from left to right. "Why am I also contradicting the general? I should be in jail right now. I should be in trial for treason."

"You are his right hand man." I announce, moving in front of him to look at him in the eyes. "You too are the brains of the mutiny." I softly hold his cheeks to keep his attention on me.

"Why are you still here?" He asks quietly after a while. His eyes searching mine after asking. "You don't have to stay with me-"

"I'm a nurse and you're my patient." I cut him off, now not looking at him in the eye. I move away and start to organize my medical supplies on the rack. "I have to take care of the person I'm assigned to."

"Am I just a patient to you?" He mumbles hoping that I wouldn't hear. On the other hand, I hear every word he said and choose to not say anything. After some moments of silence, he asks me why I'm still a nurse until now.

"You've been working as a nurse even before you reached the legal age to work...why continue until now? You had the chance to leave and live another life; a cleaner and more pure life."

"I was given the chance to have hands like God." I answer, "I couldn't just let what I know go to waste. If I had the chance to keep the lives of people, then I should take it and not let them die at my hands."

Adrien visibly winces with my words and forcibly closes his eyes as he turns his head away from me.

"Hey," I acknowledge his sudden action softly. "What's wrong?"

"Then what do you think of us, soldiers?" He ask in such a soft voice laced with regret. He slowly raises his hands to his eye level. Staring at his palms, I could see sweat running down his forehead. "These hands have killed men and they have no right to be called as pure and clean. You have the work of God whilst I have the hands of the Devil..."

"Adrien."

"It's the truth." He retaliates with a quiet voice I could barely hear. "Don't deny what I'm saying here, Nurse Marinette. Many people died because of me-"

"I'm not denying what you're saying, Adrien." I interrupt him, "I'm aware of the cruel reality that a lot of people died and some are still dying, but it's not you who's doing it." I kneel in front of him and grab his face, gently making him face me. His head turns and eyes me carefully. I caress his cheek and show a small smile at him. "It is your duty. And your duty is to protect what's important to you and this country is important to you. The citizens in this country is important to you-"

"And you're important to me." He stops me mid-speech and my words get caught in my throat. He pulls me close to him and wraps his arms loosely around my waist. He rests his head on my stomach. "You don't have to convince me anymore." He utters.

Still shocked with his sudden display of affection, I am currently having a mind battle if whether I should wrap my arms around him too. So out of the ordinary, I touch his hair- combing it between my fingers, touching some strands of his blond hair.