New Slate

ADRIEN

After being cooped up in the infirmary for the past five days every eating time, I finally insisted to eat someplace else.

And I know that people were sneaking glances. I'm not surprised though. If ever I saw someone that is supposed to be dead walking around with a tray in the mess hall, I too would stare.

It could make a man go crazy though. The silence followed with the whispers then worded theories of how I'm still alive. I don't think they are even aware that I could hear everything they are saying amongst each other.

I couldn't also think straight due to the throbbing pain on my right shoulder caused by Alya around early noon.

She immediately broke down into tears when she went to Marinette's quarters and hugged her best friend. Of course, I scrambled to find my shirt on the floor and wore it as Nino also entered the room. It was he who noticed the red marks all over my chest and arms before I covered them, while Alya noticed the same marks on Marinette's abdomen which were poorly covered up with the gauze. They both immediately got the same idea and had different reactions.

Nino bursted out shouting a few cheers then started laughing so loud that he had to go out while Alya started punching me, scolding me and saying that I should have not tired Marinette all the more and that the place where I left my marks is such a suggestive area that it embarrasses her as well.

Marinette was hiding her very red face behind a blanket and I was glad to take the punches of Alya. If ever she saw the marks Marinette left on me, I would not know what Alya would do to her.

Now the pain is still there even if it's been hours already. I rub my shoulder and pull it back and forth to stretch it at the very least.

"Adrien." Chloé suddenly stops in front of me, carrying her own tray as well.

"Chloé," I exclaim and let go of my shoulder. I look at her in confusion as I cannot fathom why she suddenly stopped me in the middle of the canteen.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm looking for a seat here," I answer slowly, not sure where she is heading with the question.

"Not here," she says, "don't meddle with the others first. You need to stay with us."

"Why shouldn't I meddle with them?-"

"You're a dead man walking, Adrien," she cuts off harshly. "And the mutiny has been falling apart ever since you 'died'," she continues in a hushed voice, leaning close and setting off wary glances around as she spoke. "Our members are frustrated, especially over you. That is why you can't just go around freely for now." She draws back then raises her chin. "Follow me," she commands, marching in the opposite direction. And I follow her.

She leads me to the secluded area which is a room where the generals and higher officials would usually stay for they wouldn't mingle with the others outside. This time, though, in the wide room only two people occupied one table - Nino and Nurse Nath.

"Hey," Chloé calls out them, garnering their attention.

"Dude!"
"Why were you not in your room this morning?"

Nino and Nurse Nath speak at the same time and I could muster to do was wave a hand at them. Nino immediately smirks at Nath when he asked the question. "Nath, I think you know the answer to that already," he says sending a thumbs-up at me which I roll my eyes to.

Chloé takes a seat beside Nath and I go to Nino who sat at the farthest area of the table. Chloé and Nath have gotten close for the past days despite knowing their different sides, they found some similarities with each other. As they start their own conversation, Nino slides up to me on the bench and lightly nudges me.