Reciprocating

MARINETTE

An hour earlier

I kept on insisting that Adrien could lean on me as we walk to the mine, but he would retaliate saying that he needed to walk normally in order for his wound to heal fast.

"Anyway, you stitched it up right?" He asked as we prepared to leave for the mine.

"What's your point in this?" I asked, skeptical.

"Just answer my question, Marinette."

I shake my head and comply with his request. "Yes, it was me."

"Then you shouldn't worry over me. Your sutures are one of the best out there."

And now that we are nearing our destination, he has never stopped to rest from walking or he might be just good in hiding his pain.

We agreed that I will be the one to carry our bag since it's the least that I can do.

"We're almost there," Nathalie pants out. She grabbed a stick and used it help her go uphill, digging hard on the ground each time we took a step forward.

I grab Adrien's arm and help him up.

"Thanks, but I can carry myself."

"At least try to ease a little bit of my guilt," I utter and play it off with a laugh.

He pauses in place, causing me to stop as well. He brings his head down to my level and peers into my eyes. With all seriousness he says, "You're just bringing guilt upon yourself."

I gape at him, not expecting him to say that. There are times when I forget that he holds a greater deal of courage. More than what I could ever muster for myself. He's a soldier after all, an officer even.

"T-Then let me be, Adrien," I find myself replying. "It's not like I can stop myself from feeling that way."

The look he gives me softens and I turn my face away, wanting to disregard the way he's looking at me.

"I-"

"Hey kids," Nathalie calls out, interrupting Adrien. I hide the sigh I let out of relief, thankful for the sudden diversion that could save me from a confrontation.

I know that there will really come a time when I would have to face the inevitable and tell Adrien how I truly feel.

And I give Adrien the freedom to choose what he really wants.

He claims that he loves me and it makes my heart ache knowing that he wants to continue living in a lie - me.

My chest tightens knowing that he'll have to make a choice. The problem I have with that is when I'll tell him. The perfect time to do so is not in my power anymore.

I'm scared that I'll never get to tell him at all.

"You might wanna take a look at this," Nathalie continues, distracting me from my thoughts. As we stand on top of high ground, she points toward the center. I gasp as I look at the direction where she's pointing at.

"God," Adrien mutters under his breath.

What lies right at the middle is a horrible sight.

"We're actually standing on top of what used to be the mine, and as you can see, the middle is where the explosion happened."

It was vast. The contrasting color of black from the brown ground we were standing on. The damage was so vast that I could not even pinpoint where it ends.