Open Scars

ADRIEN

"That you could find it in your heart to forgive me for all the pain I've caused you."

"...you think I haven't been doing that for the past days?" I look away in disappointment. "My feelings for you are not frail or weak. So when are you going to step up for me?"

"Adrien..." she cries.

"Marinette, do you want me as much as I want you?"

I had to fake my sleep after that. I did not want to continue watching her cry nor did I want her to see me cry as well.

She left when I turned away from her and laid back down on the mattress. She told me to rest well in a whisper then left.

Now I don't know how many hours have passed since then. I couldn't tell if the sun is even up since we're in some sort of underground quarters.

I hear the sound of someone on the other side of the room. I purse my lips and let out a breath before I speak.

"Listen, I'm not in the mood to talk about what happened."

"Ah, a lovers' quarrel?" An unknown voice muses. I sit up immediately upon hearing the voice and I could feel my cheeks flushing. This is what I get for assuming that it was Marinette.

I face the woman who helped us last night. She flashes a small smile at me. "Your wife is still sleeping. She was exhausted after staying with you here."

I decide to stay quiet. There is still no guarantee that she could be someone I could fully trust.

The woman walks toward me and grabs the empty pot since I accidentally hit it hours ago. "I might as well refill this."

Again, I choose to stay quiet.

"I thought you were the talkative type."

"And I thought you would abandon us," I decide to utter, breaking my silence.

"I can't do that." She shakes her head. "Your wife's mother - ah. Your mother-in-law is someone who I owe my life to."

"Mother? Wait...Sabine Cheng..." I whisper in realization then look down at my hands that are resting on my lap. Marinette has never told me about her parents. Now that I'm hearing the name of her mother in a place like this, it could mean that she might be known around this place.

"That's her name." She places the full pot beside me then sits on the ground, facing me. "Your wife has never talked about her parents with you?"

I let out a soft chuckle. "In times like these...it's hard to find time to talk about trivial matters."

She scoffs, "Fine. I'll act like I believe that." I could feel the woman eye me cautiously then she lets out a sigh. "I'll also act that I believe you and Marinette are married."

"You know a lot." I look at her. "I guess it's pointless to hide anything from you."

Behind her, Marinette suddenly enters the room and stops when she notices that I am awake and is conversing with the woman. She opens her mouth to say something but shuts it, immediately changing her mind.

The woman notices the shift of my mood and follows where I am looking at. Once she knows it's Marinette, she lets out a small smile and stands. She dusts off her pants and points at the space beside me. "I think you might as well sit beside him," she tells Marinette.

I face the other way as Marinette clears her throat and approaches me. She does sit beside me but chooses not to utter a word.

The woman, sensing the tension between us claps her hands together and exclaims, "I prepared lunch for the three of us. It wouldn't hurt if we eat together, right?"