Careless

Note: short chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ADRIEN

"Boy, am I glad to see a familiar face again," Nino utters upon seeing me enter the room I was just brought to by Gorilla. Nino stands from his chair and wraps his arms around me and I do the same back at him - clearly they took off our handcuffs on our way to the room.

"Same here, dude," I say.

We both pull away from our short hug and Nino lets out a soft laugh. "I can't believe I'm saying this but with these past weeks of staying here, this place is starting to grow on me."

We both sit on our respective seats across from each other separated by a table. The room we are in is just like any interrogation room setting - gray walls, bright lights, security cameras watching our every move.

"I did not expect them to treat us like this," Nino continues as I stay quiet. "We're not getting tortured here, Adrien. This is not like how we would imagine their prisons back in the garrison."

"Well," I start off slowly, "Marinette loosened up the strings for us..."

Nino falls silent and looks away. Clearly the name caused the palpable aura between us and them - our believed-to-be enemies.

"I gave her something to eat the other day..." I continue in a soft voice.

I won't deny it. My stay here is way different from what I imagined life here would be like. I thought I would be losing what ever I have left as a human, but they seem to be more humane than most people I know. But...but I feel that everything they are doing for Nino and I is a trap.

"You get to see her?" Nino asks incredulously, his voice hushed, "The last time I saw her was when..." And he trails off, not wanting to continue. If he did, I know that he would say "I found out that she betrayed us". His expression speaks for himself.

"Fate loves to play with me, I guess," I utter. "She visited my room that time."

Nino rest his arms on the table as he leans closer, his left index finger starts to tap in different patterns. One long tap then four short taps - Morse code. I eye his taps discreetly, knowing that they are communicating to me.

"Do you know why she visits you?" He asks, continuing his tapping of his finger.

They can hear...

I form the words through Nino's tapping and I stay alert as he does not stop yet.

"Honestly, I don't know why," I answer him as I make out new words from Nino's tapping.

They can hear what we're saying?

I subtly nod my head once and I could hear Nino let out a soft frustrated sigh.

"Is it worth talking about her right now?" I ask impatiently.

"What did she say?" Nino asks again. "I'm just curious here. Why would she continue to see and talk to you?"

"Well I know that it's not because of what we had, Nino. She made it clear that it was all part of the act. But...deep down, there is this gut feeling that makes me want to think that maybe-"